Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TTReg vs TGLB #784087 07/14/13 08:47 PM
Sethrotull Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Anyone have both of these? I love my Regulator but I keep thinking about the Gemini. I doubt the TG can out place the Reg but I want to know what others think.

JYD #100
Dog, Hog, Rat it's all Bussekin
Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Sethrotull] #784143 07/15/13 05:23 PM
Flux Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Sure do. Actually, I recently took some comparison photos for a friend.

They are two of the best knives to come out of their respective companies, in my opinion. They may look alike, but are completely different knives in reality and everyone who likes Busse should get one. What I love so much about the TGLB is how versatile it is. It is a GREAT combat knife and a very, very good camp knife.

I have to run for a moment, but will go into more detail and add pictures jn a few.

JYD #137
Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Sethrotull] #784157 07/15/13 09:38 PM
Hooplehead Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
How limited were the TT regs? I know with SYKCO knives rare is a relative term, but they seem rare.

JYD#177

Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Flux] #784161 07/15/13 11:41 PM
Sethrotull Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Flux
Sure do. Actually, I recently took some comparison photos for a friend.

They are two of the best knives to come out of their respective companies, in my opinion. They may look alike, but are completely different knives in reality and everyone who likes Busse should get one. What I love so much about the TGLB is how versatile it is. It is a GREAT combat knife and a very, very good camp knife.

I have to run for a moment, but will go into more detail and add pictures jn a few.

Look forward to this

JYD #100
Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Hooplehead] #784162 07/15/13 11:43 PM
Sethrotull Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Hooplehead
How limited were the TT regs? I know with SYKCO knives rare is a relative term, but they seem rare.

The TTRegs were offered at Blade09 then late that year or early 2010 they were offered to a group of testers.

I will say I am a believer in the differential heat treat!

JYD #100
Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Sethrotull] #784163 07/15/13 11:52 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I used to have a TTReg. Wish I would've never traded it.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Sethrotull] #784164 07/15/13 11:55 PM
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Mine was a gift from one of the great dogs here.... smile

Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Sethrotull] #784181 07/16/13 07:11 AM
Flux Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Andy, my Regulator was also a gift from one of our top Dogs. I'll tell that story of his incredible generosity in another thread. My Regulator really is my favorite and most used Scrappy because of where it came from and because it is a beast of a knife that is so much fun to use. it is one of the only gifts I have l from a friend that I met over the Internet, and certainly the only the only blade. It taught me the principle of paying it forward and I have tried my best to practice what I preach.

Last edited by Flux; 07/16/13 07:50 AM.

JYD #137
Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Sethrotull] #784259 07/16/13 12:15 PM
Flux Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Okay. Here comes my quick review.

First off:
The Regulator is the thickest (.333" thick and .08" behind the edge ), most monstrosity of a mid-size blade I have ever had my hands on (the only blade that I've touched that is thicker is the MOAB, but we're talking about a different class of knife.) I've used it a lot around the house to chop pineapples in half, destroy furniture (the KDSH does that now) and just have fun chopping and poking. My regulator hardly cuts at this point (I'm going to get that fixed, but that edge is thick!!) I have brought it into the woods on three camping trips to try it out when I first got it. I soon realized that I could not rely on the Reg to be my main camp knife. It is not meant for that, in my opinion; it is meant for destruction, chopping, throwing and having a good 'ol time pushing it to its limits (some may disagree.)

On the last camping trip the Regulator took, I gave it to a buddy for him to use for the trip. We had a lot of fun using it to cut the saplings for the leanto, batoning wkth my B-11 because my friend couldn't get anywhere with the regulator and throwing it at trees ... A lot. I hope it doesn't seem like I'm bashing the Regulator because I love mine, but I consider myself a serious survivalist, or at least I have trained to be, and I would much rather bring a less mint stroud blade on my serious survival trips.

That leads me to the TGLB:
The TGLB is a jack of all trades. It is a very good combat/tactical knife it's light and agile, has very good handles a classic blade profile and more. It'd probably be good in a last resort hand-to-hand combat scenario, it's robust enough to be used as a foot-hold to cln over a wall, and it's slice your onions and flip your burgers. The edge is thin and sharp enough to accomplish a multitude of tasks one would encounter if they relied only on the TGLB. (note: the handle on the regulator is amazing and I would love to see it on a series of blades, including a khukri.

The TGLB is also a very good (not perfect) camp knife. It chops, batons, whittles, cuts, prepares food and is a good size and weight. (I'm going to finish writing this soon, but I have to take a break)
Mmnnn

I'll take some more pictures this evening, if you'd like. Just let me know what you'd like to see.

Last edited by Flux; 07/16/13 12:33 PM.

JYD #137
Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Flux] #784282 07/16/13 06:06 PM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I have both knives, and they are both great. For a "camp knife", I would say that the TGLB has a slight edge, though both will do the job.

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Sethrotull] #784645 07/17/13 05:22 PM
Flux Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I didn't realize that editing was shut off after a certain period of time I may have to PM the stinky Mod who gave me this Regulator out of the kindness of heart, because I'd like it if I could either edit, or merge my posts. I often type on my phone during breaks at work and then, in cases like this, will edit my post from a computer so that I may proof it, work on the composition, resize pictures, etc. I am going to wait to see if I can edit my post or just continue to do my review piecemeal. In the meantime,

Here are the best pictures I have of them side by side at the moment. I'll take some outdoors shots when/if I can. I added my thoughts to the end of each section. Some are repeats of what I said before. I will really try to get better photos.

Side by side:
[Linked Image from imageshack.us]

Spine comparison:
Some people think .25" is way too thick for a knife. I tell those people to play with my Regulator or MOAB for 5 minutes. That said, I enjoy very thin slicers as much as bomb-proof 1/3" thick Bowies.

The Handles:

The edge and grind:
(This photo will be replaced by one where the TG is not tilted.)
The TG Has a fantastic edge and grind for what it is. The shallow hollow grind and fuller were proportioned for optimal balance. The hollow grind is so shallow, that it does is practically Full flat ground.

The grind on the Regulator could've been a steep FFG instead of a Sabre and the edge thinner, but then it wouldn't be the Regulator, now would it. I think I may have ground down too much metal from use and from my friends mistake to put a good edge on it, but we'll see what the SY wizards can do.

More handle shots:
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img27/1362/44tt.jpg[/img]
I think that the Regulator Handle is genius and should be on many more Scrap Yard mid-size to LARGE knives. It is great because of the taper to the end and the guard. This enables you to choke back. I measured the distance, and I am able to choke back about 2" very comfortably and 2.5" at most, making this a 10"-10.5". That is why it just destroys as a chopper and was taking down 2" saplings quicker than the B-11. Of course, the B-11 has its own role and it does it exceedingly well.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Flux; 07/17/13 05:42 PM.

JYD #137
Re: TTReg vs TGLB [Re: Flux] #784652 07/17/13 09:08 PM
M
Massive Metal Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M

The Regulator has my favorite handle from the Yard. To echo what Architect said once "it just feels squishier than the basic handles", I agree.

A DSF with a Reg handle would be SWEET!

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2