Originally Posted by greaser
a beef farm next door that I could acquire a cow or two. (owners pay farm hands to run it and live 100 miles away)

If I'm reading this correctly you wouldn't have to worry about being hungry in my area, because rustlers would be shot on site. People in my small corner of the world work REALLY hard at carving out an existence on the land and don't take lightly even the mention of this sort of thing.

A couple of farmers were talking about this very topic at the Farmer's Market this morning.

One old timer was complaining about how "super market shoppers" think the countryside is the "land of milk and honey" and available for "pickin" when times are lean. He added "they sleep in, work in AC, and buy imported food at a store owned by someone who lives a 100 miles away but think they can just socialize our farms because they're too lazy to work sun up till sun down in the rain, snow, sleet and blazing sun and too stupid to grow their own".

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.