Originally Posted by feederle
Is it that good?

IMO, no. If it's popular, it's wrong….. at least most stuff is for me anyways it seems. The mass distribution is pretty poor IMO, comparably speaking. Which will cause it to handle less than optimally and also shock the hand more in chopping or hard impacts along with developing less potential rotational velocity (chopping, snap cuts, etc.)

Compare the 711 to the Ratweiler CG original, which has roughly an identical blade… yet weighs almost half pound more. All that weight is in the tang, the worst place you could add weight to a knife IMO.

Now, the 3/16" version might have slightly better distribution if it has a lower saber grind…. though I'll still pass on both personally. I much prefer the 711 or TGLB if I had to choose something this size.

I pretty much universally avoid full tang knives from Busse/kin if they do not have lightening holes or machining under the handles and are above roughly 5". It makes less noticeable difference in smaller knives than that but the effects are still there and perceivable, just not enough for me to get upset over if I like the other aspects of the knife.

Junk Yard Dog #152 - Woof!