I just picked this Tikka T3X Stainless Lite 308 Win up from my FFL yesterday. The DNZ mount and Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40mm CDS scope arrived the day before.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

This purpose behind this rifle was to improve my "field gun" accuracy potential. I have a Mossberg MVP 308 Patrol and Ruger 18" Stainless Gunsite 308 but neither of those guns are light or as accurate as I wanted for a "hunting" or "stalking" rifle. After a lot of research I decided I was going to buy a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather or Bergara B14 Hunter or Tikka T3X Stainless. I was set on 308 Win because I have other guns chambered for it, and it is a good performing cartridge. It isn't on par with a 6.5C (from what I've read ... as I have no personal experience) but it is powerful enough for any hunting I'd engage in, common, relatively inexpensive, etc.

I selected the Tikka because it was $350 less than the Winchester and the Bergara has mixed reviews. I've yet to find a negative T3X (in 308 Winchester ... I have read negative reports in belted mag cartridges) review.

I'm hoping this rifle shoots as well as everyone claims because I really want to sell the Mossberg. The Gunsite Scout rifle will probably get kept because it can fulfill a different role. Its more of a "general purpose" rifle when I mount my Leupold FX-II 2.5x IER Scout scope on it. It heavy (18" barrel and laminated stock) but it does make a neat "woods walking" package. The Tikka, on the other hand, is slated for more precise work.

ETA: this Tikka is not a "bench rest rifle" but I did buy it specifically because I wanted an extremely accurate field rifle. This post was to illustrate that we can discuss any type of "accuracy driven" guns .. not just highly specialized rigs.

Last edited by Endeavour Morse; 02/06/20 12:21 PM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.