I ran across a somewhat related bit of news (in that it's about dumb knife laws) on the BladeForums ROSArms subforum. They have been talking about marketing some Russian-made Khuks, but say they cannot be shipped through Germany:

Guys!
I promised you some Khukries after IWA show BUT they just got new law in Germany - anything with blade longer then 120mm (4 3/4 in) cannot be transported in or out. So I will have to order Khukuries from Russia directly. I'm working on it right now.
ROSArms makes some very nice knives, but I'm a bit dubious about their Khuks because they're stainless. My belief is that most stainless steels are unacceptably brittle for blades that take the impact a khuk does. Also, one of the things that I like about their knives is that they're lighter than most US knives of the same size, but with a chopper, some weight isn't a bad thing. I'm interested in getting one, but I want hear how their first wave of khuks perform and hold up before taking the plunge.

Aside from the merits of this particular knife, it's hard to believe that Germany has such a restrictive law. I know that there are European customers who sometimes post, do we have any folks from Germany who can comment on whether he's correct about that law?

JYD #60