Question since we are mentioning rifles in this post...and not to hijack - Are bolt action rifles more accurate than semi-autos? Why? A friend at work told me that they were and that it has been proven. I don't doubt it I would just like to know why?

Thanks.

I would be uncomfortable making that generalization across the board but a lot of bolt action centerfire rifles are more accurate than a lot of semi autos I have tried. There are exceptions as with anything. A lot of times though accuracy is dictated by the trigger, most semi auto rifle triggers are not very good.
Also a lot less moving parts in a bolt gun. I feel that it kinda boils down to if a person can shoot or not. In the hands of a trained shooter a professionally built bolt gun will out shoot the gas gun of equal quality every time.

It's also a matter of energy as well.

With a bolt action rifle, all of the energy is focused into pushing the bullet forward.

With a semi-auto or full auto, some of the energy is utilized in pushing the action backwards to prime the trigger for the next round/continue firing. With this decreased amount of energy available to push the round forward, the travel of the round will be affected in a number of ways; power and distance being only two of them.

JYD#70 Warning! There are more than just dogs in this yard!