The way I usually qualify things is that there is a continuum to how you baton. You start the split and you can usually feel when there is too much resistance to proceed. You don't have to finish a baton if you feel it is adding to much stress. If I were in a survival situation, I wouldn't hesitate to baton. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't use common sense while performing this activity or really on my personal experience with the knife I'm using.

One reason I baton often with my knives is so that I get to know how they perform so I know how they will perform when I call upon them. Better to have a blade snap in my backyard than at camp. If it happened in the wilderness, I'd probably have to go to the trouble of reaching using my weak side hand to draw on my secondary belt knife

Yep - when I'm batoning in the back yard, or car camping, I will INTENTIONALLY choose the worst logs to baton - I find nasty, big, ugly knots, seasoned hardwoods, and twisted and gnarled abominations that look like they couldn't possibly be a product of nature. If I can baton a knife through those with no problems, then I know I can baton it through woods that are chosen more judiciously in the field.

This M9LE took a little bend in a ridiculously hard bit of birch that happened to have a fork at the base of the log. It sprung back to true as soon as the log was split, no worse for the wear, and I've got a pretty good idea that it can handle more than I would throw at it in the woods.

[Linked Image from farm3.static.flickr.com]

Last edited by MustardMan; 07/09/09 10:30 PM.