Really it depends somewhat one your geography as well as the type of emergency.
Where I live if there was a major earthquake I would pretty much be stuck where I am at.
From my house you basically have 2 routes east and 2 routes west.
Both of these routes are classified as emergency response routes that mean in the event of an emergency only vehicles displaying the pass for the routes would be allowed to use the roads.
In addition to this I do not have a single route that I can go for more than 1/2 hour driving without crossing a bridge. Once again these bridges would be shut down for at least a few days if there was a major earthquake while authorities checked them out.

Here is a scenario I could face if the earthquake happened mid-day during the week
My wife works(north west) about 15 minutes from home , she would not be able to get home until the dam she needs to cross is deemed safe.
My oldest daughter works (south east) about 20 minutes from home, she would not be able to make it home until the bridge she needs to cross is deemed safe.
My youngest daughter and I are about 2 miles apart (my work, her school) both in a tsunammi/liquifaction area. If the power lines were ok we would probably wind up at the same shelter together or I would get her. We are about 70km (40 mile) from home and have at least 2 bridges to cross. My youngest only goes to school 3 days a week so if she was at home when it happened all 4 of us would be prevented from getting to the others

All of us would have to travel on an emergency response route so even if the bridges/dam was ok, we would still be stuck where we were at.

So what I would suggest to everyone is that they not only do a risk assessment of what type of emergencies they are likely to be faced with, but also find out how your local authorities plan to deal with them.
There is no point in planning to bug out if the authorities have the roads shut down and there is no point in planning to bug in if the authorities are going to force evacuation

As Tom stated above, be a scout, be prepared

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102