Funny, I specifically decided to quit being a lurker and join a knife forum so that I could reply to a gun question.

SkunkHunter hit it on the nose when he told you to try several different ammo types to see which one your 10-22 likes. Hopefully it likes a cheap brand. I prefer a fully jacketed hollow point type bullet for the extra killing potential, but if you’re only killing paper, go for a fully clad bullet type ammo.

One of the GREAT things about a Ruger 10-22 is the available modifications you can make to the rifle. Midway USA (www.midwayusa.com) and Volquartsen (www.volquartsen.com) are good companies that I’ve dealt with and been satisfied with their products.

Strongly suggest you get an extended magazine release, an automatic bolt release (if you’re good with a Dremel, you can mod your existing bolt release), and an exact edge extractor. These are the minimum mods that I perform on 10-22’s. I also like a Hogue OverMolded stock mentioned by Damon.

Also, I also found that the Ruger BX-25 magazine clips are far superior to Butler Creek and Black Dog high capacity magazines.