Everyone has "pet" guns and designs. The fact is, the above listed guns are not my "pet" choices, but the overwhelming choice of the shooting community.

An example of the bickering that happens when this lists come out is the FAL. Somebody reading this is thinking the M1A is a better rifle. Facts are clear: the M14 was adopted by the US and then given to one other country. 90 nations adopted the FAL. Even if this is an endorsement of the more advanced design (remember the M14 is a 1936 M1 Garand with a modified gas system, shortened 1906 vintage 30-06 and detachable magazine) it speaks volumes about the parts availability in the future. Also, SA, Inc uses investment cast receivers, and is now out of USGI forged parts. SA, Inc actually IMPORTS CAST PARTS FROM KOREA now. Research this for yourself.

Pet choices are just that - personal pets. If you have something you like - then great! However, don't think that because you've shot 750 rounds through your XYZ that it's "proven" and will remain serviceable when you need it. The above list of guns (with the exception of the Ultra Small CCW handguns) are re-searchable choices. They have been vetted, tested, abused and otherwise wrung-out and found to provide service in the harshest conditions. They have omni-present parts availability and shoot the most common rounds in America:

22LR
9mm Luger/Parabellum (9x19mm NATO used by our troops)
223 Remington (5.56x45mm NATO used by our troops)
308 Remington (7.62x51mm NATO used by our troops)
12 Gauge

ETA: Again I want to reiterate that the S&W 642 and Ruger LCP aren't bombproof and the 38Spl and 380Acp aren't overly common anymore. However, a person needs a small hyper concealable handgun in a caliber potent enough to get the job done if shot placement is taken care of by the user.

Last edited by Architect; 07/24/13 09:49 AM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.