Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25
What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? #1005088 06/16/14 10:54 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Describe what your ideal spec's for a wilderness survival knife would consist of. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CHOOSE AN EXISTING KNIFE. If there is a knife that you think is ideal (or close to it) then list it (with any modifications it needs), but otherwise I'd like to hear what features your ideal wilderness knife would entail.

FOR THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD YOU CANNOT SPECIFY MORE THAN ONE KNIFE. This exercise is suppose to challenge you.

ETA: I'll reserve my "ideal survival knife" specs until people have a chance to comment.

Last edited by Architect; 06/16/14 10:57 AM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005110 06/16/14 04:45 PM
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
One and one only, probably a .22 ASH with magnum canvas grips. It is not perfect for any single task but there is nothing I can't do with it to one degree or another. The next choice would be a BATAC I think.

Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005111 06/16/14 05:18 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
No, I don't need all that adjustability. I'm just looking for a well made synthetic stock.

It's a shame Magpul doesn't make a standard stock, they make a good product.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005113 06/16/14 06:10 PM
Andy the Aussie Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have yet to put a Magpul stock on my ASH but I am open to the idea.... wink wink laugh laugh

Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005114 06/16/14 06:16 PM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Oops! Sorry Gary.

I would edit my post but SOMEBODY already referenced it.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005115 06/16/14 06:22 PM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Hehe, We're everywhere we're everywhere. wink

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1005116 06/16/14 06:24 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie
I have yet to put a Magpul stock on my ASH but I am open to the idea.... wink wink laugh laugh

Aussies, there's one in every crowd. grin wink

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005122 06/16/14 07:51 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Sorry guys, just couldn't resist.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005123 06/16/14 08:31 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
OK, I thought about this the whole time I was mowing. I considered this knife and that knife, then this handle on that blade and vice versa. In the end I DID pick a Yard blade.

1. I looked at the Mud Mutt. Nice size, lightweight and easy to carry. BUT I felt as if it had to much Belly. PLUS I would want something 3/16 inch thick, nothing less, nothing more.

2. I then thought of the S5! PERFECT, 3/16 inch thick blade, 5 1/2 inches long great all around do anything (Well almost) blade. BUT it had the profile of the Mud Mutt, transition from the straight edge up to the tip (had that same belly profile). I wanted something with not quite so much belly to it, but enough to be a "It'll work" skinner if need be.

3. I then took a look at the Wardog. AHA! Well on second thought maybe not. It's .200 inch thick with a FFG which made it OK, but it didn't have quite enough belly for me.

4. Then I picked up the 411. Now THIS IS IT! But, well, I'm not really sure. Place them all side by side and the blade profiles are pretty much the same (Cept the Wardog and 411 don't have quite as much belly).

5. Then I spied the Muppy (Mud Puppy for you newer folks). But it's only 3.5 inches long, kida short for a Survival knife, but it IS 3/16 inch thick.
Then I picked it up and my hand just slid up on the handle and my index finger wrapped around the choil. Hey this choil may be kinda funny lookin, but boy does it feel good. And it's a FFG blade to boot! Interesting, but still, the blade is only 3.5 inches long!
I continued looking and it DOES have many of my "Wishes".
A. 3/16 inch thick blade.
B. Full Flat Grind
C. Spear point blade, no wait, it's not. The Point is slightly above the centerline of the blade. It's more of a dropped point. And upon further examination, the edge looks like one continuous curve from the choil to the point! Interesting, I like that. And that "Funny looking" choil, well it's a lot more comfortable than you think, plus being angled the way it is it keeps your finger from sliding forward onto the edge.

But it's to short. What's a Dog to do?

I know, use the same blade profile, grind and choil but draw it out to a TOTAL 4.5 inches from the mudder handle (the edge side of the handle) to the tip!

Oh BUT if it were made of SR101 it would need to be Softer (I would aim for 56-57, NO MORE than 58 on the Rc scale) than normal. I am assuming (yeah yeah) that we would all have a sharpener with us, hopefully a diamond hone of some sort. But what if it was lost and you had to use a rock!

To solve this problem, and also for easier maintenance (if it was your ONLY survival blade, rust could not be a problem) make it out of INFI. Oh and do a conventional V grind. If all you had was a diamond hone(Preferred) or a rock this is the only grind that you would be able to maintain.

There you have it and Hopefully persuasive reasons why I think this would be the Perfect Survival blade.

Some of you will say ah it's to short. I thought of that and was going to specify at least a 6 inch blade, but the more I thought about it the more I thought that with the 4.5 inch blade, you could build yourself a shelter, gather food, protect yourself and could use it to make fire thereby also providing drinkable water. It would be easy to carry and wouldn't require you to "Choke up" as you would a larger blade thereby increasing the risk of a Catastrophic cut.

Shelter: Easily built with a blade this size. No it wouldn't be a log cabin, but we're talking survival (I am assuming until rescued, say a couple weeks max).

Gather food: You could make a digging stick to gather roots and a spear for larger animal food and and fish, and you could (if you had the know how of course) use it to build traps for animals and fish.

Protection: You could use the knife itself or build yourself a spear or bow and arrows.

Fire: You could make yourself a bow drill fire starter and once you had a fire you could boil water to purify it.

Just my three and a half cents. Hope you enjoyed reading it and if nothing else got you to thinking before you post your own thoughts.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 06/16/14 08:58 PM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005131 06/16/14 11:09 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,
Your specs are very well thought out, and I know of many seasoned survival experts who prefer a knife in the 4" range. I'm going to reserve further comment as to not influence the freedom of this thread. (I want people to express their views as well and untainted as you have done).

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005132 06/17/14 12:08 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Every time I sit down and think on this I come up with a different knife, I guess I am to spoiled with specialized blades.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: What makes an ideal wilderness survival knife? [Re: Endeavour Morse] #1005133 06/17/14 12:20 AM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Greaser, me too. However, I've been narrowing my specs.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 24 25