Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Home from a week bush... #1008840 08/09/14 08:29 PM
Andy the Aussie Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Posted these at The Swamp and BF so I should in The Yard as well....

Well at slightly short notice I managed to take a "mental health week" away from work. The place has been crazy for the past 8 months and when I did the maths if I didn't have this past week off (and specifically this week !!) I would not get another till Feb or March next year.

So rather quickly I packed up and headed off west last Friday (the 1st), nearly 10 hours of driving later (normally closer to 8 or 8.5 but it was a crappy trip) I managed to arrive and pretty much just unpacked a swag and settled in for the night and a sleep in. Heavy frost in the morning and overnight it was around -1C, but I was toasty and didn't for a minute notice.

I ended up on around 50K acres alone for the week with the nearest neighbours (that I don't see or know) about 15km away. The owner lives 25km away and I saw him once all week.

First order of business was collecting firewood...!!!

[Linked Image from i997.photobucket.com]

And the chopper that helped....

Which all added up to a very cozy few nights in front of the fire...

Had I realised the wood situation I would have taken my chainsaw out to get some better wood than the dry dead fallen stuff I was scavenging. That trailer load lasted a whole two nights...!!! Thankfully the next tree I pulled apart was a bit more substantial and the second load lasted the rest of the week and burnt hot and slow...!!

I did however have to relocated a small gecko that I found in a very sleepy state inside a log, he warmed in the sun with me for a little before moving off into better accommodations... smile

Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008841 08/09/14 08:30 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Got all organised and rode out to some spots I have not been before (despite having been going here since the 1980s)...

Saw plenty of deer sign around and LOTS of pig sign....including some with the hogs still stepping out of it...

The other purpose of this trip (not that I needed one) was to test some loads in my .375H&H and get a little practice in with it, in anticipation of a visit to Africa next year.... there is a makeshift range we built on the property that got a good workout....

I was happy with the results, took a bit to get the .375 on paper (new mounts and trigger guard) and I ended up having to work from 25yds to start with. Once it was on at 100yds I tried out the loads I threw together with the Woodleigh projectiles and some Win760. First batch threw three into a group of @1.1 inches, I probably wont mess much with that... wink For fun I checked the zero on my Sako .308 (first time in 8 years wink ) and was SHOCKED that I needed to make adjustments !!! LOL (one inch to the left and a half inch down). I then toyed with some different factory loads that were less than impressive and made me wonder if there was an issue with the rifle. Dropped three Win X130As in and put three rounds in touching....so all was well smile

Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008842 08/09/14 08:30 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Once all that was done it was back to the bush. Over the next few days I saw lots of deer, but no shooters, and plenty of hogs. All VERY toey !!!!! I also found lots of dead (shot) hogs so that probably explains the flightiness !!!!!

I did knock this little guy just before dark and only about 100m from the bike (after I had walked a round trip into the scrub of @8km)....

Probably a given (me being me) that I had more than a couple of knives with me.....

And of course at least one would be an ASH1...

Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008843 08/09/14 08:31 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Went for an explore on the bike and ended up on the far north western boundary of the property, been close but never quite this far. I just followed the fence line out and it seemed to go on and on... out the back there is a clear track (not so much getting out there) as I am guessing the boundary fence was renewed in the last 3-4yrs and they ran a dozer along it at the time....I hoped NOT to do a tyre in out here as it would have been a long walk back....

Imagine my surprise when I was exploring the old shed at the back of the homestead and realised I was not the first to attach a Kolpin case to dirt bike... though the fencing wire and tin are not as pretty as MY solution...

So to get some practice with the .375 I took it out over a rabbit warren I had noticed. There is something a little wrong, yet fun, about walking through the bush and exploding bunnies like that, I figure if I am happily hitting Mr Cottontail on the hop or as quick as I could then larger more dangerous targets should be a little easier... wink

No exploded bunny pics.....but that long golden afternoon sun makes for a nice picture....

Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008844 08/09/14 08:31 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Evenings were cold... the rum helped.... but I can's say I take the best pics when I have been drinking.... wink

Decided to grab some nibbles for my pups (always makes them that much happier to see me when I get home).... used a little "Oak Leaf" blade (now "Stich Knives" ) to do the cutting, it is a sweet little Elmax tool..!!!!!!

Sadly though when I got the legs back to the house to cut up and skin properly I discovered that they were full of bloody worms....so no nibbles for the pups....

Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008845 08/09/14 08:31 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
And just a couple of pics I snapped out on one of the tanks late in the last afternoon...

The last morning turned on a little frost for me to pack up in...

And at the half way point of the drive out of the property....

8.5hrs later I was home.... but still wanting to be out there.... !!!

Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008848 08/09/14 08:50 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Awesome pics, looks like you had a great time.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008863 08/10/14 12:32 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Great pics!!!

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: gun dog] #1008872 08/10/14 01:38 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Looks like you had a fantastic time Andy! smile

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008875 08/10/14 02:09 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Always look forward to your pics, and once again, NICE.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008912 08/11/14 11:24 AM
M
Mastiff Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
M
Thhanks for sharing, I've always enjoyed your photo tracked adventures.

Remember this: Everytime I blink, you disappear.
Re: Home from a week bush... [Re: Andy the Aussie] #1008913 08/11/14 11:32 AM
Ray Settanta Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Another great trip with wonderful pics. Thanks!

JYD #182