Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The One That Got Away #1019841 03/08/15 05:44 AM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
There's always that ONE (or maybe a couple) that you regret selling more than all the others. What's your sad story?

Me? Hands down it's the Comp Finish BWM I owned. It was a perfect, BEAUTIFUL, chopping machine--poetry in motion and steel. I've never had a handle-to-had fit that was so natural and amazing (well, the CG I briefly had came close). I sold my CG model to pick up the Comp Finish. That was my ONE Busse knife that I would own. THe ONE Busse that would go down to my kids. Lots of Dogs and a few Rats, but that was the shining jewel in the crown. Back in the day, you could find a used one for 300 or LESS. But IIRC, it came down to med bills, on that one and given that the BWM could command the highest price (ie I'd have to sell 2-4 other blades to make up for it) off it went. I see them occasionally on the exchange and drool longingly over them. They are now far out of my price range. As the kids age, my expectations on disposable income mature as well. I may never own such an awesome blade again in my life (or at least until after the kids are all done with school), but the memories of my brief ownership remain sweet. That's probably the only blade I've come close to shedding tears over in selling it off. Sad, little squirrel tears wink grin

Bitter, however, are my memories of the War Dog. One of my favorites--used to clean and butcher probably 30 deer. But one summer hunt, through thick brush, it slipped from its sheath never to be seen again. It's bitter because the gear was lost. Nothing to show for it but an empty sheath. I DID shoot three deer that morning, but really regretted not having the DF to butcher them out. Absolutely love the blade--if you have one, keep it and use it regularly. It was made to be abused. I have a 411 and an SS5 so feel no NEED to obtain a WD. Took two blades to replace it though--that says something about the knife wink

The Boss Jack and DSF--these has been blades I've returned to repeatedly only to fall away from. Both are great hunting companions and I've owned probably three of each. Again, lousy higher cost of INFI has necessitated their sales when something financially has had to give so that I can retain the rest of my blades.

Guess I can't say I regret selling any--all went to fund something more needed (except the WD, which I didn't sell). However, it doesn't mean you still don't miss those once bright spots in your knife collections.

So, who else has a story about the one that got away--one you wish you never had to part with but ultimately did? What made it special? Why did you part with it? Let the tears flow wink grin

Last edited by DogTired; 03/08/15 05:48 AM.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: DogTired] #1019842 03/08/15 07:00 AM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have two that I REALLY regret selling. There are others, but only two that I really kick myself over.

First is the Rat Daddy. Because duh, it's a Rat Daddy.

The other is the Dumpster Mutt variant I had. It was ffg with a swedge and tanker grey blade. LOVED that one. I have never seen another one. I had two other dumpster mutts but it was "the one".

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: DogTired] #1019843 03/08/15 07:14 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Surprisingly enough, it's not a knife I ever owned. Two times now I have found an SS4. A knife that many proclaim to be the perfect Yard blade, and I passed. Once I didn't think (at the time) I could spend the money on, and the second time was because of my tardiness in telling the individual I wanted it.

I DO have what many would consider the perfect edc fixed blade, a ScrapYard Wardog that I keep in the truck along with my 911 to cover any "Road Blockers" we may come across. I also have A blade I don't figure I will ever use, a Busse Combat Wardog HACK, a deeply hollow ground bead blasted blade that should make the PERFECT slicer, and I also have an S5 and a 411 and Mud Mutt. So as you can see, I have the "Ideal" size covered. Therefore my regrets are not for a knife gone, but a knife not bought. Not one I actually need, but... Strong is the Addiction.

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 03/08/15 07:21 AM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: DogTired] #1019844 03/08/15 07:24 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Oh man Spidey, that WOULD be tough.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: SkunkHunter] #1019849 03/08/15 08:34 AM
Private Klink Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
"No regrets". grin

Junk Yard Dog #1
Moderator/Leader of the Pack
Good night Mrs. B, wherever you are!
Long Live the Brotherhood of the Yard!
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: DogTired] #1019855 03/08/15 08:44 AM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
^^^For the hogs.

USMC 1997-2002. 6173 CH-53D Sea Stallion Helicopter Crew Chief and Flightline Mechanic. Semper Fi!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: Spider-Pig] #1019858 03/08/15 08:45 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
That was in reference to the fact that I haven't sold any knives that I regretted. wink................. grin

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: DogTired] #1019860 03/08/15 08:46 AM
Spider-Pig Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Ok gotcha!

"Be still, Taggart!"
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: DogTired] #1019891 03/08/15 01:50 PM
DogTired Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Rat Daddy (well, Mastiff, but pretty close) almost made my list, but couldn't get used to the subhilt grip. It IS a true classic though and was hard to part with. If you like the grip, then yeah, a definite one to regret.

I've had lots of awesome blades pass through my hands--KZII, Rat Mastiff, several M9s (I REALLY want to love that blade), Uncle Mofo, short sword from the Swamp, HRLM, Dumpster Mutt, Scrap Muk, Battle Rat (also almost makes the list--love that knife, but it's not THAT much better than my user DF) etc. But only a couple I really wish I could have held onto. Most of the blades I would truly regret selling are still at my side. The BWM is probably the only one I REALLY wish I never had to sell.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: DogTired] #1019895 03/08/15 02:04 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Selling treasures requires MUCH thought before doing so young SuperSquirrel. wink

Junk Yard Dog #1
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: DogTired] #1019906 03/08/15 04:22 PM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Right now I only have ONE that I would be willing to part with. NO, I don't use anywhere near half my knives, but I plan on keeping them. One day they will either be passed down in the family or passed on to other dogs If I feel my time is near. There's this one pumpkin handled beauty I know where to send though, depending. But is it legal to bequeath something to a Rodent?

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The One That Got Away [Re: DogTired] #1019921 03/09/15 01:25 AM
coyotebc Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I have never sold a knife that I regretted
I have given away a couple that hurt me to see them go, but even then I don't have any real regrets

The stripes of a tiger don't wash away. Be a man of steel not clay JYD #102
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3