Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Old vs. New DM and Going Away Meet [Re: Steel Fan] #249806 10/24/08 08:46 PM
Ban Offline
Pooch
Pooch
Are the serrations put into the AK for chopping foilage...like a machete?
Would'nt the serrations make it less effective on chopping wood?

I am not quite sure why they were put on. I think it is mostly for looks. I agree that it would most likely hinder chopping and slashing performance with those deep serration scallops. It does look cool though!

Re: Old vs. New DM and Going Away Meet [Re: Ban] #249807 10/24/08 08:53 PM
eatingmuchface Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
why do you think it would hinder chopping performance?
on my kabar with serrations, the serrations bite deeper.

I guess it could just be geometry, or where they're located but I would think less surface area would penetrate deeper.
???

JYD number 52.
Re: Old vs. New DM and Going Away Meet [Re: eatingmuchface] #249808 10/24/08 09:17 PM
MRpink Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I think serrations are horrible for chopping.

1) The serrations might bite deeper, but that doesn't mean it'll chop better. When you chop, it's generally a 2 step chop, one chop on the left and one chop on the right, and the piece in the middle should be flying off. The flat blade makes a clean cut, whereas the serrations would keep the wood intact between the gaps of the serrations.

2) I can see the serrations breaking, chipping, rolling, and denting real fast under heavy chopping.

3) Makes the blade lighter up front.

There's probably a lot more reason why serrations isn't ideal for chopping, which is why you never see serrated hatches or in many choppers.

JYD #56 Scrap Yard Sword Club #00
Re: Old vs. New DM and Going Away Meet [Re: eatingmuchface] #249809 10/26/08 05:59 AM
Ban Offline
Pooch
Pooch
why do you think it would hinder chopping performance?
on my kabar with serrations, the serrations bite deeper.

I guess it could just be geometry, or where they're located but I would think less surface area would penetrate deeper.
???

Probably the reason why your kabar bites better at the serrations is because the geometry there is thinner than the rest of the edge.
Given the same thickness I just don't see how a serrated edge would chop better than a plain edge. The serrated edge actually has more cutting surface to bind and give resistance during a chop. They also cut at different angle in relation to the straight edge portion. Slicing and shearing motions on softer material may be a different story depending on how the serrations are done. A stock AK already has pretty thick geometry at the edge. Putting scallops that ride higher up on the edge will only make the edge thicker. Now I can be entirely wrong here....but if I had to bet I would put my money on a plain edge for chopping performance.

Last edited by Ban; 10/26/08 06:01 AM.
Re: Old vs. New DM and Going Away Meet [Re: duFontaine] #249810 11/28/08 06:25 AM
Andy Wayne Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Yeah, when I saw he wanted $5,000 I had to say a little prayer for him, he must need some mula bad or maybe thats what one made of INFI runs. Being a Busse I would have thought that all AK's were made of INFI.

I'm guessing that wasn't an AK, but the one of a kind Dragon's Fang, the biggest piece of INFI ever. See the size compared to an AK?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=70791&d=1177177290

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee132/gusthefish/DSCN3497.jpg

JYD #4
Re: Old vs. New DM and Going Away Meet [Re: chickenplucker] #249811 11/30/08 03:21 PM
Boots Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
WOW that first pic is awesome.

If you are a friend of the yard, you are a friend of mine. JYD #91
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4