Scrap Yard Discussion Forums

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: Endeavour Morse] #569244 03/11/11 11:28 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Fred,

I'm glad this thread is helpful. Hopefully we'll stay on topic and other Dogs will contribute good info like JJ has done.

I forgot the commo devices in the OP, and probably a couple of other items too. I have a very complete list of my gear written in Word.doc format but it isn't with me at this moment.

Good for your church - having a tight knit community of like minded people can make the difference between surviving "it" and perishing.

I will, however, caution you:

No matter how well meaning you are or how much you trust your congregation - people will change in an emergency. I highly recommend you keep some of the details of your supplies and planning a secret. This even applies to your children, because they will talk to their friends.

Finding a balance between your Christian charitable obligation and your obligation to your family is something you need to work out.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: Endeavour Morse] #569245 03/11/11 11:31 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I just remembered something that I forgot....a weapons cleaning kit.

I'll amend the OP to include this.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: Endeavour Morse] #569246 03/11/11 11:39 PM
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
JJ - I'm also adding commo to the list.

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: Endeavour Morse] #569247 03/12/11 10:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cool. I really think the minimum communication a person should have in an emergency is a simple radio, and your Eton crank radio sounds perfect.

It is much more likely that when people have to bug out, they will be doing so in the event of a disaster be it man made or natural.

I would guess in the U.S. that 99.9 percent of the time the people who maybe trying to triangulate your position from your broadcast would be doing so to locate and rescue you.

In a "Red Dawn" situation, radio silence is a smart idea, but unlikely to happen here.

And at half a pound, I always bring my solarpanel with me, even if it is just to keep my iPod and flashlights running.

I just ordered three of the straws you suggested. I remember seeing them a long time ago and haven't thought about them again until now. I like the idea of something so small for redundant water cleaning. And, I found them for $8. I couldn't afford not to get a few.

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: ] #569248 03/12/11 10:13 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
$8.00! Ok, pm me if you would please.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569249 03/12/11 10:15 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
IF for some strange reason I find them (Frontier survival straws I am guessing) for less than $8.00 would you like me to pick you up a few?

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569250 03/12/11 10:16 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Now I gotta start looking for a SteriPen.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569251 03/12/11 10:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One more suggestion, but it maybe controversial.

Alcohol, tobacco and firearms

You already covered firearms, but it went with the trio, so I won't go into any detail again.

Alcohol and tobacco are both good for calming you down especially if you are already addicted to one or two of them.

Alcohol also has medicinal qualities and nicotine can help you stay awake if you are in a pinch.

And their third and possibly most important function, bartering. When money becomes obsolete, like in a prison, the most valuable currency is a pack of smokes. They are even good to give away when trying to get allies.

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: ] #569252 03/12/11 10:32 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
THAT is thinking outside the box! Good points by the way. But I am not really sure how beneficial VS weight/size they would be if you are bugging out. If you are going to "Hold up", EXCELLENT suggestion!

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 03/12/11 10:32 AM.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569253 03/12/11 10:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
But I am not really sure how beneficial VS weight/size they would be if you are bugging out.

If you have any doubts, ask a smoker at the end of a 13 hour plane ride. He'll trade you his first born for a Camel non-filter.

And, if you are a smoker, it becomes even more important to keep you calm and clear headed.

Disclaimer, I am in no way saying anyone should smoke. I am just saying that if you do smoke, I don't think quitting the habit is the top priority when bugging out.

Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: ] #569254 03/12/11 10:42 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
I know all about the "smoke" craving. I smoked for 25 years. I agree that they would be beneficial, but I was just talking about the benefits versus the weight and or what you have the capacity to carry. Granted a carton of cigarettes wouldn't be all that much weight wise. And you could get a metal flask to carry your favorite Calming medicine in. wouldn't take to much weight in a back pocket.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: The BOB (Bug Out Bag) - A Description [Re: SkunkHunter] #569255 03/12/11 10:45 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a nalgene flask in the side pocket of my bottle holder for water. It has a sleeve that doubles as a measuring cup.

P.S. I will resend PM

Page 2 of 25 1 2 3 4 24 25