Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785616 07/22/13 04:25 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I ended up selling my GSR.

I like the scout scope concept, but prefer semi-auto rifles. The Colt LE901, SCAR-17 and XCR-M are all 7.62x51mm semi-autos with the ability to "forward mount" a scout scope (on their monolithic upper receivers). This, in my option, negates all of the merits of the GSR.

The GSR's non-chrome lined barrel was a huge factor for me. These rifles are designed for "do everything" use, and as such need the corrosion resistance and ease of cleaning that chrome affords. It'd probably cost Ruger $20 a rifle to add it...or at least make the stainless version available.

Anyway, my GSR is long gone but I have a Colt LE901 and XCR-M to replace it.

The Colt is more accurate, and the XCR-M could be just as reliable.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785626 07/22/13 07:08 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I would have gone that route but couldn't afford it.
I just called leupold about making a custom vx-r scout scope with the firedot circle recticles and their CDS dial system.

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785699 07/23/13 02:28 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
You'll be able to some day.

I'm older than you - that's why my toy box has more toys.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: gun dog] #785799 07/23/13 11:44 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
True. I'm happy with what I have for now. I know someday I will have my own armory so I'm not to worried wink

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785804 07/24/13 01:34 AM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
exactly you have to start somewhere, that leupold scope aught to last you for life.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785859 07/24/13 09:29 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
My first gun was an AR15 my uncle and I assembled from on a SGW stop-sign lower with a gun-show A1 poly-bag parts kit. That was 1984, and I was 10 years old. Since then my collection and grown and then contracted many many times. I've owned outright JUNK and guns too pretty to touch without gloves on. Now I'm content having a pretty small battery of trusted guns with a couple of "range toys" thrown in. The range toys never stick around long, but I do enjoy trading them out for something different to experience.

People often ask me what they "need" in their "gun battery". I don't offer blanket statements often, but unless I know the person well I say this: A person who is concerned enough to ask about a "gun battery" not just a self defense or hunting gun should have the following:

1) Marlin 795 Stainless or Ruger 10/22 Stainless with Tech Sights

1) CZ452 or Marlin 880/881/980/981 22LR Bolt Action with a Leupold 3-9x40mm scope

1) Ruger Mk3 6" Stainless Model

1) Ultra Small CCW Handgun in 38Spl or 380Acp (I usually recommend a S&W 642 Airweight or Ruger LCP)

1) Glock 19 with Night Sights

1) 5.56x45mm Carbine (I usually recommend one of the following: Arsenal SLR-106FR, Colt 6520 or BCM MidLength Lightweight).

1) 7.62x51mm Rifle (I recommend an 18" or 21" barreled FAL from ARS, DSA, FN, or Springfield Armory with DSA being the least favorable due to not offering chrome lined bores). I recommend adding a DSA Extreme Duty scope mount even if they don't want to (currently) scope the rifle. It allows for the mounting of Leupold's excellent VX3 1.75-6 scope for medium range shooting and hunting.

1) Remington 870 Police (these have no MIM parts, metal trigger groups and are finished to higher standards than the Express line but still feature "durable" parkerized finishes) with two barrels: 18" IC Fixed Choke with Rifle Sights and a Special Purpose Model 26" Vent-Rib with (removable) Rem-Chokes and Bead Sight. A Wingmaster with an add-on 20" IC Rifle Sighted barrel is also an option, but the high polished blue finish and wood stock are more maintenance than parkerization and synthetic.

There really isn't anything a normal person in North America couldn't do with this battery of guns.

There are a few "special add-ons" depending on the person's location or interests. Some specialized hunting requires more specialized tools, and some locations require different defensive guns. For example, if I lived in Alaska I'd have a S&W 629-3 with a 6" barrel and a Winchester 70 Extreme Weather in 300 Win Mag with a Leupold VX3 scope on the list.

Most of this lists I read include a "long range bolt action". The fact is, most people cannot out-shoot their Ruger 10/22 let alone a 30 caliber centerfire with wind correction, etc. Its just another case of people vomiting up what they've read and think they need while sitting comfortably in Fort Living Room. The fact is, most people cannot out-shoot a FAL, G3 or M14...so why not go semi-auto.

ETA: let the bickering begin.

Last edited by Architect; 07/24/13 09:38 AM.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785860 07/24/13 09:46 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Everyone has "pet" guns and designs. The fact is, the above listed guns are not my "pet" choices, but the overwhelming choice of the shooting community.

An example of the bickering that happens when this lists come out is the FAL. Somebody reading this is thinking the M1A is a better rifle. Facts are clear: the M14 was adopted by the US and then given to one other country. 90 nations adopted the FAL. Even if this is an endorsement of the more advanced design (remember the M14 is a 1936 M1 Garand with a modified gas system, shortened 1906 vintage 30-06 and detachable magazine) it speaks volumes about the parts availability in the future. Also, SA, Inc uses investment cast receivers, and is now out of USGI forged parts. SA, Inc actually IMPORTS CAST PARTS FROM KOREA now. Research this for yourself.

Pet choices are just that - personal pets. If you have something you like - then great! However, don't think that because you've shot 750 rounds through your XYZ that it's "proven" and will remain serviceable when you need it. The above list of guns (with the exception of the Ultra Small CCW handguns) are re-searchable choices. They have been vetted, tested, abused and otherwise wrung-out and found to provide service in the harshest conditions. They have omni-present parts availability and shoot the most common rounds in America:

22LR
9mm Luger/Parabellum (9x19mm NATO used by our troops)
223 Remington (5.56x45mm NATO used by our troops)
308 Remington (7.62x51mm NATO used by our troops)
12 Gauge

ETA: Again I want to reiterate that the S&W 642 and Ruger LCP aren't bombproof and the 38Spl and 380Acp aren't overly common anymore. However, a person needs a small hyper concealable handgun in a caliber potent enough to get the job done if shot placement is taken care of by the user.

Last edited by Architect; 07/24/13 09:49 AM.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785861 07/24/13 09:56 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Recommending an ultra-concealable gun is problematic, because they tend to be cheaply made and aren't as durable as larger designs.

However, the trade off is they don't get shot a lot so the wear isn't as much of an issue.

I tend to prefer ulta lightweight and small guns for this "role" because if I'm going to carry something any larger I'll just dress differently and carry a Glock 19 sized handgun.

Therefore, I've narrowed my recommendations down to a "pre-lock" S&W 642 Airweight or Ruger LCP. My wife and I have owned several of each, and have never experienced any sort of malfunction (even after prolonged pocket carry).

The 642 sucks to shoot. Its painful with +P ammo so we sold them in favor of the easier to conceal and shoot LCP. The trade off is more routine maintenance. The Smith required none, but the Ruger's semi-auto action has to be "de linted" often.

Whatever a person chooses for this use, it needs to be at minimum a 380Acp or 38 Special. A tiny 9mm would be better, but they tend to be too large framed for this role. I just sold my Kahr CM9 for this reason. To conceal it required clothes that allowed me to carry a Glock 26 so...why not a Glock with night sights and 11 rounds instead of a Kahr with regular sights and seven rounds?

The gun chosen has to work. These aren't romantic guns. They are in-your-face no-other-choice but to shoot guns.

ETA: once again .... let the bickering begin.

Last edited by Architect; 07/24/13 09:57 AM.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785862 07/24/13 09:58 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
\end thread derail
\gun rant off

blush

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785863 07/24/13 10:02 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Thanks Arch. THIS is the kind of posts that we can all use and ponder on, use as a basis for our own weapons choice.

I have

Browning buckmark W/8 inch barrel
10-22 standard
both 380 and 32 semi "Hideout" pistols
couple 9mm
40 S&W
S&W 357 revolver, 3inch SS
410 bolt action
20 gauge 870
Colt AR15
Oh and 308 (two actually)
And a couple others. I used to have a 12 guage, but Dad sold it when they had their auction (I forgot to get it).

With this I should be able do about anything I want/need to do. BUT I still want to get a pistol grip 12ga. Pistol grip because I like them.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785866 07/24/13 10:13 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,

That's a great list.

As a side:
I logged back in hoping to make the following statement before anyone else posted, because I didnt' want to make it sound like I was directing the comment toward anyone in particular.

I've done the hard part here. I've spent three decades and an UNTOLD FORTUNATE making that list. Don't ask me about "xyz" or "what about this or that". Don't be lazy. Do your own research. Use my list vs your idea and spend some time reading.

Randy, obviously this was NOT directed at you in any way. Your list is actually outstanding. Its larger than the "minimum" but that's completely acceptable.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: SkunkHunter] #785867 07/24/13 10:15 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
use as a basis for our own weapons choice.

This is what I meant by the above comment. Use the list as a basis for decision and starting point for research.

Again - my comment wasn't toward you Randy. I was hoping to post it before anyone commented, but I had rambled on for so long my eyes were floating and I HAD TO PEE! eek

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14