Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785868 07/24/13 10:19 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
My collection is larger than my minimal list, and I'm actually trying to down size it. I'm past the "collector" point in life and am now just a "user / accumulator", LOL.

As a shooting hobbyist I like having extra guns, but wrote the post for Gun Dog because of his comment about being able to afford things now. I figured it would be useful for people to profit from my years of testing and wasting money.

Well, actually time and money. I could not begin to tell you how many nights I've stayed up until 4 or 5am working on resolving the ultimate question:

What is the best gear.

ETA: there is no correct answer to the above question. It is very situational.

Last edited by Architect; 07/24/13 10:20 AM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785887 07/24/13 10:46 AM
SkunkHunter Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Gary, I NEVER thought you were pointing anything at me OR anyone else. I took it as your opinion, based on FACT and EXPERIENCE, and not as you said Fort Living room. I have been guilty of "Fort" posts, but I TRY and preface my post that I am basing it on popular consensus and not actual experience, unless I have had some experience.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785895 07/24/13 10:51 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
IF I was limited to just a couple three weapons I think It might be...
22 rifle
(Maybe) 22 handgun
AR15
12ga. Shotgun
9mm handgun

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: SkunkHunter] #785903 07/24/13 11:10 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
IF I was limited to just a couple three weapons I think It might be...
22 rifle
(Maybe) 22 handgun
AR15
12ga. Shotgun
9mm handgun

That would handle everything you need in spades.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: SkunkHunter] #785904 07/24/13 11:11 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Gary, I NEVER thought you were pointing anything at me OR anyone else. I took it as your opinion, based on FACT and EXPERIENCE, and not as you said Fort Living room. I have been guilty of "Fort" posts, but I TRY and preface my post that I am basing it on popular consensus and not actual experience, unless I have had some experience.

I knew you understood. Its just hard to convey "emotion" or "intent" online.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785906 07/24/13 11:14 AM
Junk Yard Dog
Online Content
Junk Yard Dog
Yes it is Gary. But I think the we here do it a lot better than a bunch of other forums.

You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785927 07/24/13 12:35 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I am bummed about the cm9 i really can't get behind the 380 it just doesn't hit hard enough (I know, no one would volunteer to get shot with it) I was really leaning towards one of the 9mm ultra compacts but you are right they are another size larger than the 380s and if you can't conceal it your not going to carry it. So I guess in the scheme of things carrying a 380 is better than not carrying your 9mm.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785933 07/24/13 12:56 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Randy,
You are right about this place. I forgot since I hadn't been around much lately.

greaser,
I had a pair of CM9's (I bought them as "his and hers"). My wife never once touched her copy and I sold it about two weeks ago. I sold mine earlier after only about 250 rounds. It functioned fine, but was just too big for "ultra ccw". I'm allowed to carry open, but choose not to do so. As such, depending on what I'm wearing I either super conceal a dinky gun or carry a standard sized sidearm with or without a BUG.

The CM9 was too thick to be truly highly concealable. It was short enough (slide and frame), but blocky and thick.

I really was a choice between the LCP or nothing for some circumstances.

Like you, I'm not a fan of 380Acp. Heck, I don't even really like 9mm. I prefer to carry a 40SW or 45Acp. However, in our "civilized world" carrying a 380 is better than pepper spray.

I'd pass on the CM9 if I were you. It is, by far, my favorite Kahr design. (I've had several). I really like the gun, and would recommend it to someone who doesn't want to carry something the size of a Glock 26. However, it can't be viewed as an "ultra concealment" sidearm.

I almost kept the new CM9 for the above reason (not wanting to carry something "larger" in some circumstances), but in the end I just decided to stick with "ultra small" and "standard". I've had a carry license since 1992 so over the past 21 years I've adapted my dress accordingly.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785934 07/24/13 12:59 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The LCP with a KelTec clip is so light and small you literally forget you have it on you. It is a gun that you won't be able to find an excuse to leave at home (or in the car).

My daily carry guns are either a HK USP 40 Compact or HK45 Compact Tactical. I wish I could just carry the HK45CT everywhere all the time, but we can't scare the brainwashed masses...so...alas I have the LCP.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785944 07/24/13 01:20 PM
greaser Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I do the same my normal carry is my XD45 but in the summer it is hard to conceal so I end up only carrying a knife and I just don't feel comfortable doing that. I'll look into a LCP for sure my mom has the LC9 and she enjoys it I have shot it a few times and liked the small size.

JYD#176
"dein Gott schickte mich zu zerstören"
"Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis"
"Sometimes the chance of a zombie outbreak is the only reason I need to make many of my life's Decisions." General Delivery
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785945 07/24/13 02:15 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The two LCP's we have are 100% reliable, but we did a 200rd break in on each before I trusted them enough to carry.

200rds isn't a lot of "break in", but you'll understand why we stopped at that round count after you shoot the little guy. The narrow frame width can make your hand sore.

They don't match the quality of other guns I own, but since my favored brands don't make micro-autos I'm stuck choosing between what's available.

As a side, if you find 380 ammo - BUY IT ALL. Its been nearly impossible to find since before the latest ban scare. Its also insanely expensive.

As long as you approach this from a "its a throw away quality gun" standpoint you'll be just fine. Honestly, as I think back on this, they really aren't "low quality" guns. They just "feel cheaper" than some of my larger (and significantly more expensive) guns. However, they've never rusted or malfunctioned so what's not to like?

If you're familiar with the LC9 you'll be amazed at how much smaller the LCP is.

Last note on the LCP:

DO NOT RIDE THE SLIDE. You really need to let it run fully from the rear most position to chamber a round when the gun is new. If you 'ride' the slide at all it might not go fully into battery. This won't be an issue after you break the gun in.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #785946 07/24/13 02:18 PM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
One last comment:

Don't carry the LCP in your back pocket. I had a KelTec P3AT that I sold to my uncle. He carried in his back pocket for about a year. He went to the range and it wouldn't function (he'd fired it before carrying it and it was fine). His weight had deformed the frame enough to create problems. KelTec fixed the gun for free, but he never trusted it again.

He's 5'-11" and weighs about 180 pounds.

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14