Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: gun dog] #786889 07/28/13 09:00 PM
tedwca Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Originally Posted by gun dog
I got a metal mag in the mail today from. http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

The review made it sound great.

But I'm calling the company tomorrow.
First you can't insert the mag with the bolt closed
Second to feed a round you have to SLAM THE BOLT CLOSED!!!!
Third when you pull the bolt back to extract the round the round comes back but the bottom of the case hits the top of the next one in the mag and it just sits there not finishing the extraction. The mag feels like quality and the finish is good but the function sucks for a $62 mag!!!

I just double checked mine and I can easily insert the mag when the bolt is closed and no need to slam the bolt to load the next round. I bet they sent you the wrong magazine. They were very responsive to my calls and he even called to check and see if they arrived OK.

Ted Wilson
Dum inter homines sumus, colamus humanitatem.
BTW - Winter is Coming.
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #786890 07/28/13 09:11 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I will try again tomorrow. Maybe he was on vacation or something

Any day I'm above the grass and I'm not a zombie is a good day! JYD#138

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #786891 07/28/13 09:12 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I also noticed that on the metal factory mags that if the round sits all the way back against the rear the bolt won't strip the round out of the mag.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: gun dog] #786974 07/29/13 10:22 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I see merit in what your saying and I am applying the concept.
I have 22lr .223 .308 12ga 40s&w all covered now. Just a few little tweaks and I have my base armory for my area that I live.

I'd add a 9mm, but the 40SW is the most popular police cartridge in the United States so you're still doing very well.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: gun dog] #786975 07/29/13 10:23 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I got a metal mag in the mail today from. http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

The review made it sound great.

But I'm calling the company tomorrow.
First you can't insert the mag with the bolt closed
Second to feed a round you have to SLAM THE BOLT CLOSED!!!!
Third when you pull the bolt back to extract the round the round comes back but the bottom of the case hits the top of the next one in the mag and it just sits there not finishing the extraction. The mag feels like quality and the finish is good but the function sucks for a $62 mag!!!

I ONLY recommend factory magazines unless we're talking about AR10's and AR15's because PMAGS are okay too.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: gun dog] #786976 07/29/13 10:26 AM
Endeavour Morse Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I also noticed that on the metal factory mags that if the round sits all the way back against the rear the bolt won't strip the round out of the mag.

I've commented somewhere on here about the GSR magazine fit issues.

The "play" in the magazine well is too great to ensure reliable feeding. I believe this is a result of poor tolerances and the AI type magazine.

I wouldn't trust your rifle until you completely 100% resolve this issue. I'd rather have a reliable fixed 4rd bolt gun than an unreliable 10rd bolt gun.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #786994 07/29/13 07:03 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
Talked with the owner of alpha today. He said sees this with the ruger rifles. He said out of 200 mags sent out 12 may not work well. He said that the ruger rifles tolerances are not as strictly maintained as other bolt guns.
He said he will send out a tweaked mag for me to try and if it works then any other mags I order he will make to those specs.
He was awesome to talk to and knew his info.
I wonder if I can install a different magwell in the rifle. The poly mags have no issues but they are not a quality product.

I'm starting to wonder about ruger products quality.
I expected more I guess.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #786995 07/29/13 08:17 PM
tedwca Offline OP
Junk Yard Dog
OP Offline
Junk Yard Dog
I'm glad you were able to speak with him, he's really a great guy. It's a shame about the QC on the rifles. I'm glad I seem to have a good one.

Ted Wilson
Dum inter homines sumus, colamus humanitatem.
BTW - Winter is Coming.
Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #786998 07/29/13 09:53 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I think that they should have set up the rifle to use Fal, or sr25 pattern mags smile

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #786999 07/29/13 09:55 PM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
I like the idea behind the GSR but someday I believe that a semi auto .308 would be a better scout rifle.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #787631 08/08/13 08:35 AM
gun dog Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
The ruger is heading back to the factory today. It will not consistently feed. There is a small metal lip in the top rear of the mag well that is catching the rim of the case and not allowing it to feed up enough for the bolt to catch and strip the rounds out. With plastic mags The back wall is thick enough that the rounds pass infront of this lip. But I find the plastic mags are to flimsy to be counted on in a High risk scenario.

Re: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle [Re: tedwca] #787658 08/08/13 12:45 PM
lazi Offline
Junk Yard Dog
Junk Yard Dog
sorry it had to go back. had to send my rifle back and I was so bummed about it took me two years.

if you have tracking call to confirm that they got the rifle when it shows it's delivered. tell them you want hands and eyeballs on your rifle. then you can also ask to speak to anybody so you can explain in detail the problems. hopefully somebody that may know more about other issues with the rifle. if you get somebody the this would the time to get them to look for and iron out any other kinks that may exist or that you may have noticed. you can always ask them to work on the trigger, polish up feed ramps, get you a better magazine etc... hopefully you will talk to a guy who knows of all the more common issues and will go ahead and iron out any potential wrinkles.

i should've gotten them to smooth out the safety and polish up the trigger on my rifle since they had it but all they did was it was sent in for. i was just happy to get my issue taken care of but now i have to ship the trigger group back to them and have a non functioning rifle for a couple weeks. they did send me a good mag though...

JYD #82 yup...
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14