OK, for a day (or just a few hours) hike, whatcha gonna use?

I am going to get a Drago Tracker pack (just a tad larger than the maxped falcon II), and I have some questions for when Patty and I can do some hiking, hopefully again in the Smokey's. I wanted something larger than my 511 push pack. It's nice, but in all honesty I just want to be able to carry a bit more stuff. IF I have it figured out right the Tracker should be just about perfect for what I want. Guess I'll find out when it gets here and I load it up.

I told a fellow dog this

I have two 1 lit. ss water bottles with ss cups. Would this be enough for the two of us (along with my Mini Sawyer) for a 5 mile round trip hike, or should I get another 40oz bottle and pouch?

IF I use the 2 1 lit bottles I have I am thinking about the condor H2O pouches. If I buy another 40oz bottle I would get another maxped 10x4 water bottle carrier (needed for height).

For JUST IN CASE would a couple ponchos work (what kind)?

I of course would be carrying my FAK pouch and a small hi output AA flashlight.

I would also like a tarp of some kind, what would you recommend for two people for TEMPORARY cover? Oh and we would both have a wood hiking staff, about 4 1/2-5 ft tall each.

Guns are a no go, but I would have a couple knives of course along with a couple sources of fire making and probably a couple pouches of ramen soup or at least a couple "Protein bars".

You think that would cover MOST of the what if's for a hike (about anywhere actually) of the 5 mile or less variety?

Thank you and I am asking you this because I know you can advise me from real world experience, not just "reading up".

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 05/25/14 09:56 PM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105