My Sage said:

Randy,
Two liters of water is half of what I would consider a minimum for two people. Extra water might be needed to irrigate a wound, flush out an eye that gets something in it, cool down a person that goes into heat exhaustion, etc. My rule for water is the same for firewood : get what you think you need and then multiply by 4. This is only if you can carry the weight. Maybe Patty could wear a camelbak? The filter and ability to purify water thru boiling is great but it isn't fast and isn't guaranteed (you have to find water first - I've spent time in the Smokey wilderness - water isn't omnipresent there).

Ponchos are wonderful because a quality product double as a litter to pull an injured person to safety and also as emergency lean to or "tube tunnel" shelter. The only cost effect poncho is a USGI Ripstop. Check eBay.

I'd add a SOL brand two person emergency space blanket or two. One below is worth three above. Between a couple of lightweight SB and the two USGI ponchos you'll be set for a BASIC shelter as long as you remember 550 cord. Take a 50 foot hank. It doubles well for an emergency splint with a few pieces of wood bound in (trust me).

Don't forget a compass (even if you have an iPhone and GPS). Check your bearing before and during you hike. Familiarize yourself with a topo map of the area so you can better "direct bearing" navigate if needed.

Get a Fox 40Micro whistle and put it along with a Light My Scout, Streamlight Nano, and small SAK on key chain. Both of you keep this in your pocket. That whistle will get attention for help. Remember ... --- ... HOLD ... --- ... HOLD ... ---... WAIT 1 minute REPEAT. This will be universally recognized as a distress message.

Consider adding a LED headlamp. Two light sources for two people. Don't forget a change of batteries. It's best if the HL and FL share a battery type. If you want The best EDC AA light ever made go to County Comm and order their aluminum AA model. It is REMARKABLE. Best $35 I've spent on a hand torch.

A lot of the "Extra" Items I already have but didn't think of. I would have found them though as I rebuild my "Day Hiker".

Last edited by SkunkHunter; 05/25/14 09:57 PM.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105