How expensive would it really be to make one?

A machete is thinner than Scrapyard's quarter-inch prybars, so that's less steel to buy... But is the major cost of a Scrapyard blade its steel? The initial machining? The primary grinding? The handle? The heat treating? How big a chunk of metal can their current equipment handle?

Without knowing intimate details about how the company works and how it buys material, I don't think we can make any intelligent comment about how expensive it would be to make a machete.

More interesting in my mind, is whether it would be a /better tool/ than what's already available. We already know that Scrapyard commits truly devoted amounts of time to making sure that they turn out only the best product. But in this case, because a machete is a very different tool than a knife (being a thinner and longer blade and subjected to very high speed impacts), would they be making the Omega of machetes or just one one that takes catastrophically damage a bit less frequently than the competition?

In other words, can they make a machete that is actually worth whatever it does cost them to make, or would even Scrapyard be unable to overcome the physics-based realities of machetes that tend to make them (comparatively) disposable. It strikes me that a machete which is so tough that it plows through everything in its path and never gets any damage in return is going to be too heavy to want to use, and a machete which actually does its job well and smoothly is going to be taking some damage from hard hits due to its geometry. Not enough to break it, but enough to dent and deform the edge, such that it requires heavy maintenance to keep in working order, and you certainly don't want to be taking a hammer and file to a hundred-dollar+ bar of steel on a regular basis...

Discuss.