I'll add that my interest in lugging around a 9" to 11" chopper has really dropped to about zero. We all love big blades, and they make us feel good about our prospects of survival. I imaging there is some subconscious sexual connotation as well. Regardless, if you've actually used a 9-11" Busse or Kin you know its only really good for chopping stuff up. Chopping is a bad survival move. You risk mechanical and slip injuries (not to mention eye injury from flying debris). Its much easier to baton wood if you need to split something or use a pair of trees as a "break v" if you need to shorten a long section of timber. As for cutting down a tree in a survival scenario...the only time I could see cutting down anything large enough to require a 9" or longer blade would be if I were planning to over-winter in place and needed to build a cabin. I can assure you I have no intention of cutting enough timber to build a cabin...with a knife.

I've now sold all of my Dogfathers for this reason, and am going to sell all of my ASH Battle Mistresses for the same reason.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.