I think that a lot of knives now are to thick. The YKCG is the best small S7 knife because it has a blade that is strong enough to pry with but is not so thick it interferes with the geometry. It also helps that it has a FULL HEIGHT flat grind.
I dod not like the MuttCG though because the stock was so thick and the grind was so short it made for a very obtuse blade. The flat grind MuttLE has all the strength but a much better cutting performance although it is still compromised.

The geometry of the whole knife not just the edge angle is important.

You want the longest shallowest triangle of steel possible for the best slicing and cutting.

A knife like the MuttCG even with a really sharp HornDog edge is only going to be a good cutter on things about 5mm's thick. Once you get into the wide part of the triangle it stops cutting.

The best Busse knives are capable of 2 things 99% of other knives can't do(be throwing knives and entry tools) AND cut as well as other knives.

2 of my favourite Scrappers are the YKCG and the DFLE. It is no accident that on both these knives the angle is very thin for a long ways.
These knives can cut!

For EDC I like my knives even thinner and the edges harder so you can get the most wicked thin razor edge imaginable. The Spyderco Mule is ideal. It has a nice wide blade with a full flat grind. It is much thinner than even the YKCG
or HairyCarry. It is excellent 52100 which has a nice hard stable edge perfect for sharp knives. It is a freakin lazer! You can't pry with it but so what it is a fantasticly sharp knife and is also nice and light.

When you have to have both a wicked sharp edge and be able to pry with it the only choice is INFI. It can be run thin enough to get a razor edge and still be quite tough. My SS4 has a thinner convex edge and is a very sharp knife almost as sharp as the Mule but has 10 times the strength.

The guy who wrote the article is a dork though.

Sure some people use knives that are more durable than sharp but for a lot of things especially bushcraft they can work fine. They also have a place as entry tools and throwers. I do think some knives are to thick because that is what the market wants though. Rosarms is just starting out in north America and their knives are thinner Russian/skandi style and are quite strong but they still got tons of request to make the blades thicker for the kind of looks Americans expect.

The Busse boys get a lot of heat for starting the thick knives trend but they are extremely good at using blade geometry to minimize the problems the thick stock causes. The S7 and S9 that were at Blade are going to be fantastic.
Hopefully they are only as thick as the YKCG but even if they are thicker the full height flat grind on a wide blade will make for great slicers. The S9 in particular looks amazing!

"if you want to be a hero you have to learn to drive stick"! Sara Conner