As a photog, this consideration is very familiar. Nikon lenses v. Canon Lenses. I have used both - a lot! I think they are both pretty [censored] good. Canon just has a wider range of lens prices. If you buy a Canon lens in the same level as a Nikon lens, you'll be hard pressed to see any differences.

For you camera lovers, here's what I bring into the field with me;

Nikon D3S - It is not the top pro camera from Nikon, but has the fastest frame rate which is important for a combat correspondent. Things happen fast some times.

Nikon D90 - This is a back up camera and used to shoot video for our website from time to time.

Nikkor 18-105 mm DX 3.5-5.6 lens - This came with the D90 and works well for what it is. Any time your zoom is that variable you will lose image quality. Small blurry areas and such show up from time to time.

Nikkor 300mm 2.8 - this thing is quite heavy and doesn't always make it into my day pack.

Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8 - this always comes with me.

NIKKOR 24mm 1.4 - this also always comes with me.

SB900 flash - This doesn't always come with since it isn't wise to tell the enemy where you are at night, plus it would ruin my night vision as well as the other troops around me.

Roland R-05 digital audio recorder - If you need a great, decently priced recorder, I highly recommend this one.

Rode NTG Shutgun Mic - Another highly recommended audio device.