No problem El Caca - I wasn't trying to be a male sexual organ, but there is a lot of incorrect information about the various AR manufacturer's practices floating around the internet.

Thought of another couple of non-milspec RRA issue:

* Earlier rifles did not have the proper height "F Marked" front sight base - this makes setting the rear sight elevation difficult without replacing the front sight post.

* Rifle feed ramps instead of M4 ramps.

* Regular CAR buffer instead of H buffer.

I get asked a lot of questions about AR15 type rifles. Mostly since people around me know that I've owned and built them for the past 26 years. No AR "manufacturer" that I know of creates 100% of their own parts. Most "AR manufacturers" are actually "AR assemblers". They make some of their own parts, but outsource the majority of the actual manufacturing. Therefore, there are only two ways an AR Company can by competition in a saturated market:

1) Cut cost on assembly and quality control.

2) Buy seconds or lower quality components.

I guess there is a "third" strategy, but its more subjective:

3ish) Market products to a specific market niche. For example, Remington's AR (which is built by Bushmaster) is marketed toward hunters. Rock River Arms markets its products toward the aestetic or "tight tolerance" market.

No civilian AR15/M4 product is 100% milspec, because:

A) It has no giggle switch.
B) It does not have a removable flash suppressor mounted on a 14.5" barrel.

Some "milspec" issues are more important than others. For example....

* Proper barrel steel - this doesn't apply as much to civilians because they do not have full auto capabilities.

* MPI barrel testing - this is very important because it will detect imperfections in your barrel's structure. These imperfections typically won't affect a hobby shooter while running 90 rounds through his rifle at the range, but it might be an issue for a volume shooter or someone that is forced to "abuse" his rifle in a SHTF situation.

* MPI bolt testing and bolt shot peening - CRITICAL ISSUE!!!! The M4 bolt takes a beating. You need the best!

* F-Marked front sight - this is necessary for proper elevation adjustments.

* 1.14" 7075T6 forged receiver extension - if you bend / dent / or break your "buffer tube" the AR will not run. The milspec tube is stronger.

* M4 feed ramps - this helps cycle reliability.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.