Arch,

Thank you!!! Your response addressed the questions that I had and then some. I appreciate the time that you take to answer questions regarding firearms.

I have had several semi-auto .308's from DPMS, Remington (actually it was also a rebadged DPMS), and Rock River. I've handled the FNAR, M1A in various iterations, a FAL (I cannot remember who made it) and finally the SCAR-17. Simply based on ergos, the SCAR-17 felt the best.

However, if this is going to be a go to rifle, ergo's are only part of the equation. Reliability, accuracy and availability of ammo, magazines and spare parts important considerations as well. And your response addressed reliability very well.

I think that my main draw to the SCAR-17 is ergos and the ability to switch the barrel and have a .243 win (my favorite coyote cartridge).

I really should get an older FN FAL for a SHTF Battle Rifle. In fact, I most definately will. But, I have a chance at a killer deal on a SCAR-17 that I cannot pass on.

Thanks for helping me sort out my thoughts. This thread is a SHTF battle rifle thread so, you have helped me identify exactly what I need for that. Fret not, Arch, your response has not been in vain. I will pick up a FAL for my SHTF rifle. Now off to find gun plumber.

JYD#116