I think my first FAL foray was around '97 as well. Since then I've owned 20 or more of them. The two I have now are both older DSA factory assembled, and I wouldn't let them go for any price.

Regarding a SHTF suppressed 22....

1) When I was collecting Class 3 weapons my friend/SOT Dealer ordered a bunch of S&H Ruger Mk2 Integrally Suppressed handguns. If you held the action (bolt) closed with the thumb of your firing hand the only thing you could hear was the mechanical (firing pin) and then "crack" if the round wasn't a sub-sonic. I wanted one of these BAD, but had bought three machine guns in the past six months and didn't have the funds. Since then I've sold all of my Class 3 items, but would have kept the Suppressed Ruger.

2) My wife could have any firearm she wanted for a 'SHTF' scenario. She chose a stainless Ruger 10/22 for any event that requires us to leave our home. Its light, accurate, reliable, she can carry lots-o-ammo, and perfect for putting food in the pot. (My wife has a Colt 6520 - AR15 - for home defense).

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.