I should also add. If one MUST rely on ones knife like I do at times. SR-77 is a much stronger & more dependable steel IMO, that's according to some tests I have conducted. But that's MO of course.

if you've conducted tests then it's not an opinion, it's data. i'd love to see it and will retract my previous posts if it's conclusive.

Mag,

338 Stalker had the "ONE" broken tip on SR-101 that I have ever seen in about 5 years on Rat Chat, Bladeforums and 2.5 years or so here on Scrap Yard forums.

There are pretty fair indications there was a defect in the steel. But, I don't know.

I don't think 338 sent the Chopweiler back to Busse/Eric to give them a fair opportunity to inspect it for reasons for failure (???????)

Chopweiler Tip Failure

Considering, this is the only "legitimate" significant failure in SR-101 I have seen or know of and considering how many other SR-101 blades I have seen take a LOT more, I am willing to chalk up one case to defect.

I "Think" I remember having read (???????????????????) Jerry to have said he has about 1 in 1000 pieces of INFI break as defects.

I "Know" I have seen 4-5 INFI knives break worse than the Chopweiler tip. So, I Know I have seen more INFI break than SR-101.
Yet, I still concede INFI to be tougher.
However, SR-101 has an INCREDIBLE track record for NOT failing.

338's Chopweiler was unfortunate. Also unfortunate that Eric/Busse didn't get a fair chance to analyze for what may have caused the defect. Eric repeatedly offered to replace it if 338 sent it back. Again, I could be wrong, but I don't have time to research all the posts, but I don't think 338 sent it back.

Defects happen in steel and it is very hard to inspect for certain defects and you just don't know till they fail.

Considering I HAVE seen more pieces of INFI break than SR-101 and considering the ABUSE I have seen given to SR-101, I am still VERY good with the toughness level of SR-101 and will consider 338's CW as a 1 in MANY thousands defect.

JYD #39 I prefer "SATIN" blades!!!