Well there you go.

Let's go back to SR77 and SR101.

If I've got this right, SR77 is STRONGER than SR101 and SR101 is TOUGHER than SR77. So SR77 will accept more gradually applied weight before it breaks than SR101 will but SR101 can bounce bigger, faster-moving bullets off it than SR77 can.

Do we agree with this statement?

ohhhhhhhhhh now i see the picture in your head. annealed, i don't think there will be a difference in toughness or strength between the steels. hardened to 59hrc, i can see your picture working. after that, i think we go back to either steel failing under the same conditions.

are we only considering 'sweet spot' scenarios?

Simple steel is Iron and carbon. More carbon means harder steel. Spring steel has very little carbon. 1095 steel is .95% carbon and the rest is iron.

Every steel has a makeup of different elements - steel in it's simplest form is just Iron and Carbon...The more carbon the harder the steel. Heat treatment can change everything for a steel- it can make it butter soft or it can make it brittle like glass...But the laws we are discussing still apply - as HT makes it tougher it compensates strength and vice versa..

Here is basically what I am trying to get across...

Lets say I have a piece of SR-77 - By HT'ing it I can make it stronger (more heat) or tougher (less heat) - but as I increase one - the other is going to be compromised. But you have to think of this with one steel- not comparing 2 steels like 77 to 101.

KS JYD #93 "Life's too short..."