I think there is a real market for an improved brush/survival tool. There is the machete, hatchet, bolo, kukri, brush axe....but they all have severe limitations as trail clearing/survival tools.

I think something that combines the designs of the Woodsman's Pal and the Gerber two handed brush tool would be great. A closer look at both these tools, reveals their steel and toughness are just not up to the tasks the tools are designed for. IMHO a perfect market for Scrap Yard. Both tools feature a "hook" in the back side of the blade, which better enables the user to grab and cut limbs and small trees. The hooks can be especially useful for cutting things off at ground level without chopping toward and ultimately into the ground. A scythe or swing blade is good for cutting grasses and smaller woody stems at the ground but they are not good at taking out thicker woodier materials. In addition the full size heavy tools are just not practical for general purpose carry. The Rodent Wakki is a nice tool but do we want to try to cut brush and small trees off at the ground with it?

The blade on the Woodsmans Pal has stood the test of time as a survival tool. It just needs to be upgraded. The end of the wide blade can serve as a shovel or pry bar. One side of the blade works like a large knife or machete. The backside of the blade has the hook with its unique ability to be drawn across the ground severing woody items at ground level without dulling the chopping blade. I own one and have worked on the blade to improve it as best I could. A design with a larger hook, more like the Gerber offering, but with the shovel end just might be the perfect all purpose blade design. The other problem with the two handed model of the Woodsman's Pal is the handle itself is oriented toward cutting with only one side of the blade. One is apt to bang up a hand trying to use the hook side of the blade.

So,
Two handed tool, with a handle design that actually permits cutting with either long side of the blade, or digging/prying with the thick blunter far end. One side of the blade serving as a chopping tool, like the Wakkies. The other side of the blade with a good size hook. The far end of the tool would be blunt or have a severe wedge that would allow it to be used as a shovel or pry bar without damaging either of the longer, cutting sides of the blade. The far end also needs a slight curve to it to facilitate digging and prying.

The Junkers all love a great cutting tool and I think this might be the ultimate design for the materials/expertise of our host tool builders.

Pressing for the ultimate chopper,

Mick