Kuanomar,

I would not define the SCAR program as T1 yet. Only firearms that have exemplified performance over time (as to not be a statical anomaly) are Tier 1 to me. For example, the BCM MidLength AR15 type rifle is definitely Tier 1 as is the Glock 17 and Remington 870 Police (a parkerized Wingmaster - therefore no MIM critical parts found on the lower 870 models).

Internet conjecture and other sources (various magazines) have stated that "Operator Confidence" in the SCAR-16 was lower than expected as was the increased performance over the M4A1 SOCOM. Anticipated "Operator Confidence" was higher in the SCAR-17 mainly due to the cartridge. Many comments of broken parts on the SCAR-16 have been noted and the subsequent concern over durability is a factor.

Logically, it would follow that the SCAR-17 could suffer from some of the same issues. The SCAR-16 has been much more widely fielded, and therefore has to serve as the statical base.

I certainly appreciate your interest in a T1 7.62x51mm rifle! However, at this point the only T1 "308" is definitely the mighty FAL!

ETA: Only original Brazilian Imbel (imported by Springfield Armory during the 1980's), original Argentinian FSL (imported by Springfield Armory in the late 1980's), DSA manufactured before 2008 (full SA58 not their STG58 Parts Guns - remember ALL of their receivers are marked SA58 therefore you must investigate which parts they used to build the rifle! They will tell you on the phone if you have the serial number. The full new rifles have a lifetime warranty while the parts guns do not), and of course FN made FAL's (remember later FN FAL's used cast upper receivers - I would not purchase one of these) are truly "T1". I dismiss "FrankenFAL" builds from Enterprise, Dan Coonan, Century, IAI, etc automatically. The "Gunplumber" (Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems aka ARS) use to build outstanding FAL's from quality receivers and parts kits.

Last edited by Architect; 11/28/10 03:09 PM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.