I have been putting quite a lot of thought into this over the last 2 years. I noticed that when our family went to Disney World this summer that my Maxpedition fanny pack was searched in every crevice, every time we passed through a gate. People with much bigger bags were barely glanced at. It kind of made me think. If I am bugging out am I going to be walking around holding my rifle? Would this make me even more of a target from whatever law enforcement may be left, not to mention gangs of bad guys that might want to take what my family has? As I understand it, during Katrina they were disarming citizens (I wasn't there though). For that reason I have kind of stopped considering anything that can't go into a pack as a bug out rifle.

I have trained with the AR15/M4 style for years so that feels right to me. I have never had a malfunction with an M4 or AR15 including a 1000 rd carbine course where I intentionally did not clean the action of my Bushmaster for the week long course, only added Break Free, because the instructor made me mad by putting down my Bushmaster. I have also been to their armorers school and have spare parts so that helps ease my mind. I never liked the feel of the AK but to those that do, I can see why you would take it.

Although I really like my Sigs, I would probably take a Glock for SHTF. primarily for lighter weight weapon and next because of durability and ease of parts replacement.

Be prepared.......It is more than a motto it is a way of life. JYD #41, "MesserHund"