I recently had a birthday and my dad offered a trade ... My Black Monster Gen. 2 on a Super Engineer 2 bracelet for his Speedmaster Pro. Easy decision for me. I love that Seiko. It had accompanied me to many countries the Corps has sent me to, but I can still remember asking dad if I could wear his watch when I was about seven years old, more than three decades ago. Every once and a while he would give in and I would press the buttons and time everything ... How long commercials were, how long my sister would talk without taking a breath, etc.

When we swapped watches, he told me where he got it. His war story was about down time in Vietnam. He was a helicopter pilot for the Army and won it off a Marine in a poker game. The Marine was out of cash but still wanted to bet his hand, so we offered up his Speedy. My dad said OK and called with $300. The Marine laughed as this didn't cover the value of the watch. Yet, he was confident and let it play. Dad beat his full house with a bigger full house.

The only things I know for certain is dad was a helicopter pilot in the Army, served in Vietnam and I have his watch. I'm thinking the poker game may be true, but he probably changed a soldier into a Marine to take a stab at his jarhead son.

[img]http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3470570&stc=1&d=1427634255[/img]

Last edited by JarheadJournalist; 04/02/15 05:20 AM.

JYD# 120