Rasmus, Americans won't take as kindly to having their bank accounts emptied by the government as the Greeks have. The risk of bloody revolt is very real in that instance.

That said, I don't believe the 3 year forecast. While the economy was failing in Greece, alternative currencies like bitcoin flourished and enabled those savvy enough to use such alternatives to disconnect themselves from the failing government's financial system.

People over here advocate gold and other precious commodities, including ammunition for those purposes. And ultimately I think America is versatile enough that the country could survive on a bartering system while the "official economy" hit rock bottom. But it would take a very strong sense of community, something else that America has demonstrated to have in times of crisis.

Overall, I think the US will fare much better than the rest of the world in a similar upheaval. Mainly because of the people's determination (and ability) to protect themselves from those who would turn a situation like that into an opportunity to loot, rape, and kill.

As long as the US government is kept from disarming law-abiding people, and from importing 20-30 million more mouths to feed, I think we would be in good shape over all, even with a very bad crisis looming.

That said, I will soon be situated much better in a new home with more room, and I will be spending money on at least basic supplies. Maybe not 3 years worth though..

"Wroof! Wroof!" - George IV misterdog-muensterdog-monsterhog