Greaser, remember seeds must be stored a certain way or their ability to sprout decreases.

Seeds bought at the store in those paper packets will start failing about two years of being stored in an "airtight" ziplock bag with minimal exposure to light. We've been experimenting with storage and seed effecancy for the past 10 years. It is best to vaccum seal the seeds in a moisture dead environment and then place the VS bags inside another container that permits zero light transmission. Store as cool as possible.

Fortunately, many local stores are starting to sell Organic and non-GMO seeds. Walmart, Menard's, Lowe's, and Tractor Supply all carry them now. Be aware that the new hybrid organic varieties are NOT good for seed saving. Hybridization creates a wildcard plant from the saved seed. DO NOT SEED SAVE HYBRID SEEDS.

This year we're experimenting with growing in earth boxes. This is our first year so we don't know if this is a sustainable solution for those with limited growing space. The EB yields are suppose to be immense, but EB require the additional of certain all natural highly specific fertilizers. We will determine (over time) if the fertizers are shelf stable and the EB option viable for long term food production after a situation wherein regular commerce is disrupted (i.e. Cannot buy the fertilizer).

We also joined a local organic CSA. Our share will likely be eaten fresh while our EB production will be dedicated to preservation (canning). If we find a specifically useful veg from the CSA will buy into more of that particular veg next year (along with our regular share). Supporting an organic CSA is a systemic method of combating food imports, domestic GMO, and the general fragile "1000 food miles" system. NOTE: it has been stated most food travels about 1000 miles before it reaches your table.

Last edited by Architect; 02/28/16 09:00 AM. Reason: Correction

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.