Thanks again for helping to get me educated.

The knife for sale here looks like a good option. I had been thinking about a Dumpster Mutt or older Scrapper 5s which are probably functionally very similar but not as nice. I like the flat ground blade on the Dumpster and the different blade style on the current offering put me off a little at first. I actually just placed my order. So I guess I can start being irritating about delivery dates.

I have a Randall made #16 SP#1, "Special #1 Fighter" that I have owned for 30-40 years. It is just too big a knife to carry around for ED. I am about to look into a more practical carry system for it but I can't imagine wearing it regularly. The stainless that it is made from probably does not compare to the high carbon steels for normal use either. I think a 5"-5.5" blade will be a practical ED carry size that I might actually wear ED. I have tried various pocket knives but my pockets stay stuffed with dog toys, treats, iPhone... pocket clip knives just seem to be in the way. My latest ED, Benchmade Nitrous Stryker, has been opening up in my pocket regularly, due I imagine to all the dogs pawing me and the constant flow of a wide range of things in and out of my pockets.

Which brings me to carry systems, probably for the back of my right hip, but something I can easily move around. I have been thinking about a Molded Kydex sheath with some form of, maybe mole, system. I am wondering if Kydex is rougher on a knife, particularly a Resiprene C handle. Again I plan to actually wear this knife in a very active, dog filled environment, ED. Does Scrap Yard usually offer a sheath once they start shipping knives? I have heard the name Rainwalker Creations mentioned. Should I be able to pick up a sheath here without sending the knife in? How would you guys house this knife if you planned to wear it in a very active environment, ED?

I have seen a great many versions of the Scrapper 5 in various places. Maybe some Scrap Yard fans are thinking of upgrading to the latest model. Would I be correct in assuming that all the knives Scrap Yard will make in this run will be like the one in the order area, LEs with satin finishes and the grind that does not quite flatten the entire side of the blade?

Shees, I'm worse than the chatty women who attend the dog park every day!

Mick

Guess I need to work on a dog avitar

Last edited by Mick; 09/07/09 02:57 PM.