J,

STAINLESS STAINLESS STAINLESS!

The Mk2 and Mk3 are a royal pain to field strip, and Ruger's bluing doesn't resist rust well. Therefore, my first recommendation is BUY A STAINLESS MODEL.

Sorry to shout that out, but its critical.

I've owned quite a few different Mk2 and Mk3 models, and prefer the 6-7/8" Government Target. NOT the Competition Government Target (Slab Side).

The GT has a "tapered bull barrel" which yields a long sight radius due to the barrel length, but also weighs less than the full bull barrel or even slab-side models.

You will not see any real field accuracy differences between a full Bull and Tapered Bull.

The GT features adjustable sights that have a flaw (all Ruger Mk2 and Mk3 sights have this problem):

A pin that goes through the sight cross-wise will work its way out during extended use. The fix is simple: bend a "kink" in the pin and force it back in. It will never work loose again.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.