The cover of this morning's USA Today has an article that I think is important to consider. Taking into account the world's economic crisis - what do you think Americans are doing to ensure their future security? Do you think they are saving money or putting back supplies in case the crisis becomes septic? Do you think they're preparing for another depression?

No.

I'm going to attach the article, but here's a recap:

1) Consumers spent 93.1% of their post-tax income on goods and services in the third quarter.
2) Americans are now spending more on "Quality of Life" items than before. Examples include pet products, and spectator sports.
3) Americans are buying more "prestige" items.

Spending has INCREASED on:

* Games & Toys
* Computers
* Cable & Satellite TV Service
* Spectator Sports
* Amusement Parks
* Salons & Grooming
* Package Tours
* Eating Out
* Restaurant Meals with Alcohol
* Wine
* Hard Liquor

Spending has DECREASED on:

* Repairing appliances
* Repairing furniture
* Repairing clothes
* Repairing shoes
* Repairing vehicles

So, summarized, IN SPITE OF the current economic crisis people are NOT taking care of what they already own or stockpiling supplies. They are drinking, going to sporting events, eating out, and buying consumer crap.

Is it safe to say that those who are preparing will be BOMBARDED by those who wasted their money when something happens? I think yes. [color:"red"]These people are AVOIDING facing reality by playing with toys, going out like the financial future of our country is secure and drinking instead of facing the hard reality that our situation is getting WORSE not better!!![/color]

Last edited by Architect; 11/23/11 06:23 PM.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.