So I may have missed it in the talk of the five-seven, but I've read that the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) approved the sale of the five-seven in the USA because the round that can penetrate body armor is only available to law enforcement agencies and military. In other words, only sporting ammunition that cannot penetrate body armor is available to the public. That being said, the more I learn about the FN Five-Seven, the more I want one. I like being able to shoot at targets that are farther than 15 yards away from me, and the five-seven looks like a great round for longer distance handgun target shooting. Also, as mentioned earlier, I'm sure there are plenty of rifle rounds that can penetrate body armor, so I don't see opposition (in America) to the five-seven as anything more than an anti-gun political move, just like the ban of the .50 BMG here in California. When is the last time you heard of a crime being committed with a 30 lb rifle that uses ammunition that costs $3+ per round? It was all political. Besides, nobody's freaking out about the .416 Barrett, and that is claimed to be more powerful than a .50 BMG at over 1000 yards.

Back to the handguns, though, I'm really enjoying my new XD9! I'm very happy with the three free magazines I got from Springfield, so now I have 5 total.

Last edited by dl351; 01/11/11 05:49 PM.