Here are some general observations about "muzzle devices" ...

1) Dedicated "muzzle brakes" seem to intensify muzzle flash. This isn't actually the case, but instead of a "linear" fire ball shooting down range, MBs tend to cause the flash to be more "spherical" about the muzzle device. That is to say, they tend to be more in your FOV.

2) "Three Prong" dedicated flash suppressors are the usually the best design. The M16 originally had a 3-prong. The government closed the end to prevent getting the muzzle stuck in vegetation and to stop GI's from using the prongs as a leverage while prying with their rifles. As mentioned before, the Smith Vortex is the most effective device I've used.

NOTE ON SMITH VORTEX: The Vortex is "tuned". That is to say, if you "flick" one of the three prongs it will sing like a tuning fork. It is my unsubstantiated belief that this "effect" disrupts the flash through some sort of sonic fairy-dust magic.

3) Combined "flash suppressor / compensators" range from "I suck at both" to "I'm pretty okay at both" but are never "great" at both. The A2 is good at both.

4) Muzzle devices range from about $5 to $300. Yes, $300. The over rated KAC MAMs is $302.35.

https://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM30168

The most I've personally spent was about $125 during the $1500 Colt AR days. In today's weird depressed gun market I wouldn't spend more than $25-35 unless I needed a specialized muzzle device for sound-suppressor mounting.

Most of the "high end" devices I've owned came on a gun or upper that I bought. That typical situation where all of the custom parts you've added to a gun or upper are basically worthless on the resale market so the next guy benefits. I've been the beneficiary several times and the guy on the losing end countless times.

5) Some other devices that I have personal positive experience:

A2 ... $5 and works.

BCM Gunfighter MOD 0 Compensator ... this actually manages to work like a FH and Compensator. It should work because its basically a slightly modified A2 and costs $90!

BCM Gunfighter MOD 1 Comp ... this is an elongated MOD 0. Works better and costs more.

KAC NT4 ... this is basially a tuned A2 that costs $128 but allows you to quick connect a dedicated sound suppressor

Phantom A2 (first generation with the scalloped end ... second generation sucked) ... at $20-25 (nowadays) this is a nice "inexpensive" MD.

JYD #123 The great one formerly known as Architect.

I am now a fictional British television police officer (currently a Detective Sgt) at Thames Valley Station. My governor is Detective Inspector Fred Thursday and it’s 1969.