Originally Posted by Architect
DT,
I've never bought a Vortex due to the cost, but have bought a few rifles that had one installed. I googled it, and they're currently $52-60 which seems ridiculous in this age of $400 complete AR-15s.

The reason I posted the info on the Vortex is because the Rook looks like a similar design and the price was very reasonable. I like the fact it looks like it could be used as a bayonet if needed

Hmmm... I'm now curious what the heck I was thinking of. I THOUGHT Smith had been forced to stop production. Too close to a patent infringement. Maybe they worked it out, or maybe Smith was doing the suing.

The Rook IS a little pointier, though not nearly as bad as some of the $20 tacticool models out there. I'm sure it could split a sternum in a pinch. I suspect most of these thicker 3-4 prong hiders do a decent job, but can only personally speak for the Rook. Much better than the A2 and other hiders I looked at... though if it's much more than $25, I'd think the A2 would meet most people's needs. Not that sexy, but dang effective.

JYD #126
Super JYD #13

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

"A free people ought to be armed."

- George Washington