Afternoon Yard!

We got hit with a whole bunch of heavy wet snow. Snapped power poles all over the place. We lost power at 645am and thankfully only lost it for about 14 hours.

Part of my chicken coop collapsed but its fixable once I can dig it out of the snow.

Otherwise it was a nice relaxing day. We stayed warm and I wouldn't have needed supplemental heat if I wasn't running a brooder with some chicks that are about a week and a half old.

It did teach me a few lessons on things I need to tighten up.

I didn't need my gas generator. But I had also forgotten to drain the fuel when I last used it. So as soon as the snow clears I'm dumping the fuel and try to clean up the carb. I would be surprised if it wasn't gummed up.

I had a couple older battery banks and was able to keep my phone charged. My wife, not so much. She likes her tablet and phone when she's bored. To keep phones charged I need a bigger power bank. Not to mention FM radios and GMRS radios for extended events.

I was pretty pleased our gas fireplaces still fired up. Even though the blowers didn't work the two fireplaces kept the house at a comfortable temp.

I'm ordering a solar generator and a 100 watt suitcase solar panel to keep things charged up for longer term events. More at the wife's reasoning than mine. But it will give me a way to run a GMRS base station in the house.

I have been able to plow and keep ahead of the snow.

I wish we had a gas stove/oven. But a Coleman stove did the trick for cooking meals.

We may get a few more inches of snow. But I think we are past the worst of it.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................