Below is a post I made in the Busse forum about 2 years ago - it talks about my experience with a 1311. Please do not take this post as being critical of the 1311 - I'm not, I just tried using it for too big of a job. eek

----------------------------------------------

I learned the hard way how dense the wood is makes a huge difference in how well any knife chops. A few months ago I decided to try my unused 1311 on a downed tree at the back of my property. A chain link fence separates my yard from the neighbor's, and this tree had crushed the tubular steel frame of the fence and collapsed the fence. Prior to choosing the 1311, I had not taken a close look at the tree, but I was guessing it was maybe 5-6" in diameter; well, when I walked back there with the knife, I saw the tree was more like 8" or so in diameter. I decided to try the 1311 anyhow, and after many full power swings at the tree, I realized the wood was much harder than expected, and I was only about 1/3 of the way thru the tree and my arm was exhausted. Fortunately I had a full size axe also, and eventually finished the tree with the axe (it was still a lot of work even with the axe).

As I was swinging the knife, I kept wishing it was a thicker (like at least .25" or even more), heavier blade – it would have helped with the very hard wood. While it is true that edge geometry is important, so is weight for chopping (not only how much weight, but how far it is from your hand(s) like in the case of the full size axe). I'm sure the 1311 is fine with softer and/or smaller diameter wood, but it was no match for this tree. Next time, I will start with something heavier, or better yet rent or buy a chain saw! grin