Originally Posted by Private Klink
I think bear spray is a good idea, and it will work on other potential predators like cougars or wolves. It has proven to be very effective, often times negating the need to kill an animal while buying you time to get out of the area. However, I would still keep a short-barreled 12 gauge slung across my back for critters that refuse to "co-operate".

They were selling "bear bells", right beside the bear spray, to put on your shoes at one time... Not sure if they still do but it was literally bells you tied to your boots to warn the bears you were around. We did have fun with tourists.. The question of how to tell black bear scat from grizz... Black bear is loose and full of berries. Grizzly has bells in it and smells like pepper!

Also the old classic of how to tell what type of bear treed you. If it climbs up and kills you it was a black bear. if it pushes the tree over and kills you it is a grizzly! laugh

Some areas the grizzlies would run towards a gunshot since the learned hunters would leave a gut pile behind.

Really though, for the most part they ignored humans. we weren't worth the trouble and hey knew we were below them on the food chain! I do have some pretty decent photos around.

JYD#10
Blade '08 - I challenge coined Dan Busse and WON!
Blade '10 - The score is now 2-0!