Afternoon Yard!

I figured I would pass on some information that might be helpful.

After our power outage I picked up a small power station from Goal Zero and a folding 100 watt solar panel. I picked up an aftermarket 8mm adapter so I didn't have to spend almost double the cash for a Goal zero panel.

I could not get the solar panel to work with the power station. My charge controller was saying the battery was less than 3 volts and went into a default mode. I used my multi meter to check and the panel was putting out 23.4 volts before it hit the charge controller. I then hooked it up to an ATV battery and it worked exactly like It should. No matter what I tried it wouldn't send power to the power pack.

I spent a whole lot of time looking at the internet for an answer and the consensus from lots of posts was the polarity was swapped. Not the case on this one. One post on an obscure forum mentioned both the solar panel and power station had charge controllers and they wouldn't work together so you have to bypass one of them.

The solar panel is really easy to bypass by disconnecting the mc4 connectors and putting the charging adapter directly to it. The power station controller is internal and I wasn't tearing into it.

It worked just fine. It's overcast today and I'm not in prime sunlight but the panel is easily charging the powerstation.

On the off chance you get a similar setup. Keep that in mind. It might save you hours of troubleshooting and trying to remember how to use a multimeter.

JYD #113

I'm getting to old for this Stuff................