Originally Posted by SkunkHunter
Afternoon dawgs. Hey Ray, what wold be a good pair of walkies for no more than $120? Preferably less than a hundred. I’m thinking about getting something for Patty and I. I would like to have a couple miles line of sight if possible.

FRS walkie talkies are generally good for an about a 1/2 mile range if there are no obstructions like tall buildings or large trees around. No license needed. GMRS walkie talkie radios use higher power and have a range of about 1-2 miles. A GMRS mobile radio can usually range about 1-2 miles. A base station radio with a larger antenna can have a longer range but it depends greatly on terrain. A GMRS license costs $35 for a period of 10 years and it covers immediate family living at that address. Everyone would use the same call sign. No testing is needed. Some channels are shared between FRS And GMRS so both radio services can communicate with each other. A means to charge the batteries of the walkies is also needed. The mobile GMRS radios are meant to be used in a vehicle or at home with a power supply and they use 12 volt power. I use a battery box with solar panels or a 12 volt power supply. I think a ham radio would also be a good choice but a test must be passed.
In my usual over the top fashion, I have all of them. Recently, I have been programming public service radios that are Part 95 certified for use on the GMRS band.

After you decide what will suit your needs, contact me and I can help you with specific radios

JYD #182