I am sorry if the tone of my post sounded too negative, but Dan did say that general knife discussion should be done on another forum.

No offense taken by me; I'm very disappointed if that's really the way things are now though. My line of thinking is something like this:

I've seen many other posts that mention "other manufacturer's products". For example, scrappy noted that there were problems interacting with the boards from a Wii. Several other folks suggested computers by both vendor and manufacturer. I've even seen Dan make reference to Johnny Walker Blue, so by products, I assume that the reasonable interpretation is "other [knife] manufacturer's products".

I also think that the rule's reasonable intent would be that the board Dan sponsors out of pocket (at no cost to members to Search or in any other way interact on, which I appreciate), not become an advertising [SPAM] venue for his competitors. So, since the Busse Kin companies market fixed-blade, professional quality, heavy duty knives, then that's what should be restricted. If somebody wants to post about them, they should back up any claims with a comparison to the equivalent Busse, preferably a Scrap Yard.

The Rat Trap is an anomaly -- at least I don't think that they'll ever release another folder. So, I don't consider mentioning other folders by manufacturer and model to be in violation of how I think the rule should be interpreted. To be a bit melodramatic, I'm saddened if that's not the case, because I consider the freedom of communication embodied in these discussions to be part of what makes the Yard such a great place to hang out.

I like Scrap Yard knives as much as the next guy, but they simply aren't released often enough for that to be all I talk about. I come here to hear about new releases, but I also come for the other discussions. If anything, a folding knife discussion seems to have a more logical place in the Knives forum than many of the non-knife discussions. However, I think those discussions are a big part of what makes this forum such a good community. Looking back at all I've written in this post, I guess I'm in for at least a nickel.

JYD #60