Little late on posting, but here are some of my favorites:

I just posted some info in response to Vic's (removed) post about his new SERE 2000, so some of this info about the SERE 2000 is just carried over from there.

The SERE 2000 is probably one of my top 5 folders. The list below isn't in any particular order. But, I have mentioned some things I would change.

SERE 2000 - built like a tank, great blade design and super silky smooth, slick and fast.

I personally don't like the thumb ramp on the SERE 2000. I am thinking of grinding mine off - I am sure I will some day.

Also, I think the handle is thicker than I prefer. I may grind down the G10 scales and contour it for my hand a little as well. But, at least it has a good shape that can be worked with.

I would also smooth out the textured G10 under the clip head. I think too many makers don't consider how much grip is created between the textured scales and the clip heads. I see it a lot and consider it a common problem. I don't mind textured scales, but I don't like the scales textured under the clip head. Causes to much drag and sticking to my pockets when trying to draw your knife.

Another common issue I don't care for is the dual thumb studs. I know the makers use the dual stud to accomodate lefties, but I don't need it and would rather have a stud that has a screw and can just be flipped for lefties. The "left" stud of a dual stud sometimes catches my pocket when drawing. So, I might slightly grind down the left stud for smoother pocket draw. This is not a huge thing. But, little details I notice.

At least the tweeks I would make "can" be done. Many knives just can't be modified to be nearly as good as the SERE 2000.

Other great folders:

Benchmade - McHenry & Williams - I would remove the thumb ramp.

Benchmade - Rukus - I have made modifications to streamline the handle and reduce size

Lone Wolf - Tighe - AWESOME knife. Just needed to improve access to the thumb stud and liner lock release a little. I also added dual Teflon washers for slick movement.

Boker / Brend - Classic

Kershaw - Ken Onion - Leek - Great smaller knife

----------------

I have a bunch of others that I have modified to improve, but those above are some of my favorites and quality knives.

I recently put a lot of time completely customizing a CRKT Crawford Point Guard I had given to a buddy a couple of years ago. I didn't like it at the time because I didn't like the thumb disc and the LAWKS lock and some other issues.

He liked it, but it needed some work. So, he asked for some help. I told him I was going to get rid of the junk I didn't like and make the knife how I would want it. I think I have improved the knife a LOT. I still don't care for the thumb disc, but I have made it better. I got rid of the LAWKS junk and replaced it with dual Teflon washers.
With some modest reshaping of the handle and grinding at the thumb ramp was, the handle is very nice now. The Blade shape was already a good design.
It took some work and the task isn't for everybody, but I find it cool that I can turn a decent $35 knife into a knife that competes with much higher end and more expensive knives. The blade steel isn't my favorite. I prefer S30V, VG-10, BG-42 and some others. But, it works and is still a good knife for the money. But, it took some work to make it worthy IMO.

I could say the same for many other knives I guess....

...... Now if only I could buy INFI, SR-101 and SR-77 heat-treated blanks...... and SAVE a BUNCH of money with INFI and SR-101 and make my concepts - since that might be the only way to get what I want at a decent price....

JYD #39 I prefer "SATIN" blades!!!