Cauliflower
Fritters
Tortitas
de
Coliflor
Oct 8, 2013 by Little Lady Cook "La Cocinerita" 15 Comments Posted under: Recetas, Recipes

Cauliflower Fritters - Cocinerita.com

I love vegetables… not really, but I eat them and also when mixed with other ingredients, they taste wonderfully. I do eat some vegetables raw, but with the winter coming in, all I can think of is hot dishes. I can’t imagine having a greens salad in the middle of winter, not happening.

These cauliflower fritters recipe might not be the healthiest to try unless you substitute the flour for whole wheat and you bake them instead of frying them. But considering the rest of the ingredients, I think it should be okay to eat once in a while.

The cauliflower doesn’t have to be a boring vegetable. If you like steamed cauliflower, or just roasted with a pinch of salt and pepper, that’s great news! If you’re like me and need different ways to cook it in order to enjoy it, this recipe will come in handy.

If you don’t feel like making fritters, I really suggest getting nutritional yeast (because of its cheesy flavor), I do eat cheese but I try not to eat it too often, so if one day you’re tired and don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen, break the head of a cauliflower, drizzle it with olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper, bake the florets crispy and once ready, sprinkle the life out of them with nutritional yeast and maybe a touch of butter or coconut oil.

How do you like to cook your cauliflower?

Try other recipes on the Blog for

Panamanian Ceviche
Fried Green Plantains (tostones/ patacones)
Chicheme (Panamanian Corn Drink)

Recipe – Makes 10 Fritters (cooking time: 25-35 minutes)

Ingredients:
1 medium size head (around 450 gr)
1/3 cup AP Flour
2 Large Eggs
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 tbs Cornmeal
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1 1/2 tsp Salt
5 tbs Nutritional Yeast
Fresh Cilantro, chopped (2 tbs)
Fresh Black Pepper

Instructions:
1. Break down the cauliflower florets and cook it either by steaming or simmering in water for 5 minutes.
2. Drain the water and while it’s still warm, chop the cauliflower in tiny pieces (or use a food processor)
3. Mix the cauliflower with the spices, garlic and cilantro.
4. In a separate bowl beat the eggs and add to cauliflower mixture along with corn meal, flour and nutritional yeast.
5. Heat up a pan with 2 tbs of oil (I used coconut oil) and fry 3-4 (depending on the size of your pan).
6. Cook until golden grown on each side for a few minutes.

Notes:
– The fritters can be made up to one day ahead and then reheat them in the oven at 375F for a few minutes. (Topped with Provolone cheese gives it a different touch).
– You can skip the nutritional yeast, but you might want to add other spices since the yeast adds a cheesy flavor to the fritters.
– After frying the first batch, try one to check on seasoning, I eat a bit low in salt so you might want to adjust.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105