Just found this in another thread and thought it should be here.

I love gumbo. Rabbit gumbo, chicken and sausage gumbo, seafood gumbo, tasso gumbo, and the list goes on. If I can kill it, I like it in gumbo.

There is a problem with making gumbo on a camping trip. Roux takes a lot of time and effort to make. Veggies go bad. Veggies get bruised in a pack. Rice takes time to make. A kitchen is where gumbo is made without getting aggravated.

Unless ...

You prepare the gumbo fixin's and use the right ingredients. So here is my recipe for camp gumbo that'll make your Mountain House freeze-dried eating friends jealous.

A dead critter
Savoie's Dry Roux
Old Bay seasoning
Salt 'n' pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Dehydrated cooked rice
Dehydrated onions
Dehydrated bell peppers
Celery flakes
Water

Here is the prep (done before hitting the wilderness preferably):

Put 1-2 table spoons of roux powder (I use two since I like my gumbo thick), a teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning and salt and red+black pepper to taste in a small Ziplock bag. Go easy with the hot stuff and add more when cooking if you want it hotter.

Put 1/3 cup of dried bell peppers, 1/3 cup dried onions, 1/3 cup dried/cooked rice and a heaping table spoon of celery flakes in a Ziplock bag.

Everything you need for gumbo outdoors.

Here is what to do in the wild.

Kill a critter. Clean the critter and butcher 'em.

Brown the critter meat.

Add roux and seasoning bag's contents into about 3 cups of water in the pot with the meat. Boil for about 10 minutes then simmer until meat is fully cooked (you never know where that critter has been so cook him well). Add contents of veggie/rice bag to boiling water. Boil for 2-3 minutes then simmer for 10.

Let the gumbo cool a bit then dig in.

You can also just bag up all the ingredients separately to leave your menu options open to stuff other than gumbo.

A Little Paranoia Will Keep
You Safe (ALPWKYS)

Be a Sheepdog
JYD#105